Localize for "Local changes have not been synced. Proceed anyway?"

2X_7_7afb55565177a2f030c75be0a76bfe2b263e731f.png

This message will Pop Up for example when you leave your actual App via LINKTOAPP() and still have changes to be synced.

Solved Solved
1 7 1,150
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is now available in the Localize Tab. Thank you AppSheet.
@Steve @Kirk_Masden

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

are there any solution for this message?

Adding @nico and @Gil

This is one of many messages, headings, etc. that still cannot be localized. Iโ€™m voting for this as a general request for expanded localization:

I understand that @nico has been working on improving localization. Thanks for that, Nico! Has localization for โ€œApp Galleryโ€ been considered?

Thanks for collecting those links. Yes youโ€™re right โ€“ App Gallery localization would be nice. The tricky part is that localization is only supported by-app at the moment (other than text inputs / dates which use the device locale), weโ€™d have to design some way allow localization that isnโ€™t defined in the App definition. Itโ€™s harder than other localizations.

Perhaps the simplest way would be to have an option to allow the Deviceโ€™s language to set the language. Thereโ€™s been talk about localizing the editor too so it may make sense to add it as part of that effort.

Thanks @nico! I appreciate the response.

I think allowing the deviceโ€™s language to set the app language (that is, that language for terms like โ€œApp Galleryโ€ etc) is a reasonable response in the majority of cases but can also be problematic for some creators/users.

For example, my app is designed primarily for Japanese people who are studying English. Because English is the target language, and because working with the target language can be a good way to learn, Iโ€™m building my app so that everyone has the option of setting their language to English, even if thatโ€™s not the language they use primarily on their app. On the other hand, I would like them to also have the option to set the default language to Japanese (in the app) if they are feeling overwhelmed by all of the English.

Personally, as someone who has a lot of experience with Japanese (a language I began studying in college) I generally prefer to deal directly with the language in which something has been created. So, even though English is my native language, I hate being forced to read an English translation when I would prefer to have access to the original Japanese. This kind of โ€œoriginalismโ€ is another reason why automatic translation based on the deviceโ€™s system can be problematic.

One more point is that, since creators can control the language inside the app, if the platform language is chosen automatically based on the device language, thereโ€™s the possibility that the user will be presented with a mixture of languages in one app.

I realize that making system messages controllable by app creators presents significant programing challenges. So, Iโ€™m happy to work with the platform as it is now for the foreseeable future. I just hope you can keep the kinds of concerns I described above in mind during any meetings where linking device language to app language is discussed.

By the way, I realize that it probably seems like a pretty minor point but I wonder if you have any thoughts about the โ€œApp Galleryโ€ vs โ€œApp galleryโ€ point. Ordinarily, I would just think of this kind of difference in capitalization as a matter of personal preference but if AppSheet is going with material design standards, Iโ€™d like to follow them too and so Iโ€™d prefer that everything is consistent:

Thanks for everything! Iโ€™m a very โ€œhappy camper,โ€ so to speak, but I canโ€™t help asking for more of a good thing now and then.

In regard to the editor, thatโ€™s slightly easier I think: just follow what Google is already doing in environments like Spreadsheet, etc., where the user can choose the default language.

By the way, one thing I encounter a lot here in Japan is English websites that assume, because my IP address is in Japan, that the website should be presented to me in Japanese (often poor quality Japanese). Such sites often donโ€™t even allow me to switch the language back to English. Iโ€™m sure that AppSheet would never do anything like that but I just thought Iโ€™d point out that my experience with such issues makes me wary of assumptions regarding user language.

This is now available in the Localize Tab. Thank you AppSheet.
@Steve @Kirk_Masden

Top Labels in this Space