Looking for some advice on Lookups. I'm desi...

Looking for some advice on Lookups.

I’m designing an app that will have about six lookups.

I want to put these in tables, rather than enums, so they can be updated.

I’m thinking of putting them all in one table, having a ‘type’ column, as well as the lookup value column (they will all be Text type), so that I can use a Valid_If to filter by lookup type to get the relevant lookup values in the relevant parts of the app.

Is this normal/efficient?

I just don’t want to have six lookup tables.

Thx

0 8 306
8 REPLIES 8

Are they for ref fields or just simple Valid_Ifs?

Just simple Valid_Ifs.

You can read all separate columns from the same table with a formula like SELECT(Variables[ColumnB],TRUE,TRUE) for your Valid_Ifs.

Understood.

I just wondered whether it was common/best practice to put values for different lookups in the same column of one table, or whether there was another, ore effective way of doing it.

Oh, I think you may be saying that it’s best to have each set of dropdown values in a different column of the same table, and just pull them into the relevant dropdown by selecting all values in the relevant column (even though the table rows are going to have loads of empty cells, because the number of dropdown values will vary across columns)?

Add one key column (Column A) to your table and you don’t need to think about empty cells.

OK, got it. Thx

You’re welcome

Top Labels in this Space