Looping in Process

At the moment it appears each Task has to be manually linked to a process.

Problem is, I have 192 Send Email Tasks to attach to my process.

The only difference between the 192 Tasks is the Template that is used for the Attachment. The Tasks are numbered sequentially from “Send Email Attachment 1’ to ‘Send Email Attachment 192’.

At the moment I’m attaching these 192 Tasks to my process manually, which is quite tenuous.

Can I add add all of these Tasks to my process in one go?

What I’d love is a ‘Add Multiple Tasks’ button on the Process page that takes an Expression. Then I could specify the Tasks to attach with an Expression like
‘Send Email Attachment (1 - 192).

Can this be done? If not, can I submit it as a feature request please.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this brilliant platform.

0 5 247
5 REPLIES 5

This sounds like poor design.

• Why do you have 192 individual email tasks?
    • One assumes that each and every one of these 192 tasks are each individually different, with no way of combining them together?

I’m building a app for a school app. Students in the school can receive one of 192 assignments. Each assignment has its own template that needs to be populated.

Since its not possible to attach a template to a Task dynamically I’ve ended up with 192 Tasks, one for each Template.

Does that make sense?

Ps, someone has just suggested combining the 192 templates into one document and wrapping each on in an IF expression. I’ll try this approach but if you have other approaches I could try I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree, modifying the template to be data driven with conditions is likely the way to go. At the very least, you could reduce the number of templates drastically. This will all depend on what’s different from template to template.

Also, keep in mind, it is ok and even encouraged, to add additional data columns if it helps simplify the presentation of data. What I mean by this is that maybe there are values hard coded in each template that makes each template unique. But if instead, those hard coded values became informational data columns (even if only used in the template), then you can use a variable in a single template to show those values instead of N templates with hard coded values. I hope that makes sense!

Top Labels in this Space