Looping over several rows

I am wondering if we can loop over tasks using START and END for lists and Enumlists.

I need to add rows to another table using rows from this table and this table has Enumlist columns over which I need to loop.

This may be a different question but how about nested loops involving children and grandchildren?

3 Likes

It’s painful but doable to handle LISTS and ENUMLISTS.
Have to keep adding Branch if Condition steps for as many as required until max length of LIST.

Please consider a way to specify a step which is essentially a loop over the LIST or ENUMLIST.

Mr Jay, you can do that with Webhook as you are able to use Start expression.

1 Like

I don’t want a webhook!!

4 Likes

So I’ve got a system inside an app I’m working that does exactly what you’re asking for @Bellave_Jayaram - but with actions.

• From a Parent level, we create child records, then associated grandchild records (with the grandchildren being related to both the parent AND the appropriate newly-created child).

I spent some time this morning trying to figure out how I could port this process over to the automation side… and I think I got it figure out - but I only got as far as looping through the list and creating the child records and ran into a bug due to a cycle. :frowning:

If we could get processes to accept cycles - as long as the first step in that process is a condition - we could “easily” implement a system that would allow us to loop over lists.

• And since processes allow us to essentially “push” data into other tables, it would solve something that’s been desperately missing from the platform FOREVER.
    @prithpal

This… might be a long video - just fyi. (^_^)

4 Likes

Hey!
I join this task.
Before automation I had to solve a similar problem with external tools and I thought that automation would do such things by default “in a box”.
In general, such scenarios are one of the most efficient for large amounts of data with a large number of intermediate calculations.
What restrictions can there be or are there now on looped scenarios?
The other day I wanted to solve my problems on the basis of automation.

1 Like

We do plan to add support for looping over a set of rows inside a process in the future.

Currently you can process a set of rows using the for each attribute in “Scheduled” events. In this case the process that is selected in the bot will execute N times, where N = the number of rows in the selected table.

2 Likes