Looping with actions

Kinda burnt out and just wanna get this out. I’ll try to circle back later and provide some documentation.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Examples-of-loops-using-actions?appGuidString=7b9ae746-1f51-4ecb-8c39-b322e1c12da6

11 Likes

@Steve

I would say this is a chunk of new features I would call! Thank you Steve. It probably takes a bit of time for me to digest and to understand the tricks behind, but it will be exicing journey for sure to get new skills and tools to enhance the functionalities of our apps!

Is this an extended usage of your tricks of this ?

Appreciate for your documentations anyway!

Thank you again Steve for all of your hard works to come up with this.

3 Likes

Yes, or maybe more of an evolution. My prior demo required a minimum of three actions, where this demo requires only two. Everything else is just applications of looping for common use cases. I intend to add more over time.

4 Likes

Sounds more great Steve.
Lesser number of actions involved could improve the performance of the app, saving the change in data on the backend data base faster than previous tips I hope. I implemented the previous tips to my app, and added number of rows like 50 rows, it takes a bit of while to complete the operation.
Does not have exact stats how long each tips will take time, but quick test gave me a feeling those new tips with 2 x actions perform faster.

Looking foward to seeing documentation and additional tips with interest.

I categorized your tips to “Appsheet hall of fame” :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks! @Steve
Will check it out.

1 Like

This is really excellent help. I’ve looked through them in the sample app, and can’t wait to read the documentation to help me understand them better. Thank you very much, Steve!

1 Like

Started to dive in deeply to learn the essense of the tricks, even though i m still on the very first stage. For the action of “Add by Count”, now I understood how the combination of actions will do the jobs nicely, I will be moving onto the other actions which is getting more difficult to understand though!

For Add by Count, I thought removing “only if” constrain expression from " add by count: loop" action may end up the infinite loop. I tested (at my risk!) and saved the app editor. Run the action to add small number of copy (3), then tried to save the form. but I could not. Actually app editor “freezed”, i refreshed the browser. Tried few times and indeed app editor continuously freezed.
Pushed expression back in and save. Then back to normal, and operational.
FYG, Steve.

3 Likes

Yep! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:smile:

Thank you @Steve for this another very useful tip on looping actions.

1 Like

Hi @Steve, your sample App is no more accessible. Could you share the link so we could copy the App?

1 Like

I think embedding is broken. I’m updated the original post with the link to the app:
https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Examples-of-loops-using-actions?appGuidString=7b9ae746-1f51-4ecb-8c39-b322e1c12da6

2 Likes