Make any AppSheet app an standalone one for desktop

Never though I would make any tricks since this community is full of very wise people but… here I am.

Make any AppSheet app an “standalone” app for windows desktop users using Chromium-base browsers

Some of you have been struggling with the fact that AppSheet apps run on browser, generally a tab. This is not perfect since your users can still see the bookmarks, url, etc. It’s not a full desktop app UX.
But, if your users are using any Chromium-based browser, you can apply this tip.

First of all, I have to say that I’ve been doing this for some time on linux but I didn’t thought it would behave the same way on Windows. Also, I’m using Brave browser but, again, this works the same on any chromium-base one.

There are two ways of doing this:

1. Easy way:

1. Open the URL of your app
  2. Click of the dots at the right side of the browser:
  3. Go to More tools → Create shorcut
  4. Check “Open as window” and “Create”
  5. You will see the app opened on a window and you will see also a desktop shorcut on the desktop as well as under the windows menu → “[NameOfYourBrowser] Apps”

2. Manual but better (from my POV) way

1. Check for the desktop shorcut for your browser or create one. (Just the browser)
  2. Go to properties and copy all of what’s inside “Target:”
    If you are using Google Chrome, this sould look like this:
    “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
  3. Create a new shorcut on your desktop.
  4. Under “Type the location of the item:” Paste the text you copied before and add the following:
    –app=https://www.appsheet.com/start/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
    It should look like this:
  5. Give it a meaningfull name (Maybe your app’s name?)
  6. Save it

There is a difference between the two methods, you can check it here:

At the left side is method 1. You can still see extensions and other info under the “menu” button that’s beside the windows buttons
At the right side is method 2. There are no extra buttons, it’s like any other desktop app.

Linux users: This is basically a parameter to the command “YourBrowserName”. Since I’m using Brave Browser, I have brave-browser --app=https://www.appsheet.com/start/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX as a keyboard shorcut. You can do the same using the terminal.

PS: As you can see, this should work with any url so have some fun

9 Likes