Map Polygons

As an agricultural professional, maps are very important, as I’m sure they are in environmental, geological, real estate and other fields. Having polygons (field boundaries), with all the same functionality that points currently have would be extremely helpful. Points do no sufficiently represent larger areas such as fields/plots/farms. At a minimum, I would recommend:

-KML import
-Select polygons for record information (or detailed view)
-Customize polygons - colors or symbols based on attributes
-Navigation button (to nearest point of boundary?)
-Use buttons to enter new records

A more advanced set of map tools could include:

-Draw/edit polygons
-Measure areas
-Geofencing (ie select polygon when user enters boundary)

Thank you!

Status Open
21 18 1,483
18 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

At least klm is currently supported.

Seth
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

KML is only barely supported. Polygons cannot be unique to users, and besides displaying a few attributes you cannot do anything with them.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

From my prospective KML is supported , not sure what you mean user wise.

Seth
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

For KML layers, you can not: navigate to them, select and edit or create new record for that polygon like you would a pin. If you have multiple users on an app with unique locations, the KML layer is visible to all. Other than displaying the polygon, almost no functionality compared to pins. From the perspective of an intensive map user, almost no functionality.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Currently pin is dynamic while klm own polygon is static.

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Yes yes yes, I love it!

I’ve got a client that wants all of these things! (^_^)

Seth
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Exactly! I think dynamic polygons could be huge for users who work in agriculture, construction, real estate, energy, and environmental fields. Farms and fields, wetland delineation, surveys, property ownership, etc.

Southern_Sorghu

I’m also using AppSheet for Agriculture and the ability to draw a polygon to represent a field boundary would be super useful.

I’m working with hundreds of smallholder farmers in Zambia and am using Appsheet to register farmers & record seed loans.

If we were able to map field boundaries and calculate field area we could provide advice to the farmers we work with on plant population (i.e. number of plants / hectare) which has a significant impact on crop yield but is time-consuming to calculate manually, you literally have to count the individual plants!

Mapping field boundaries might also open up the possibility of using remote sensing data to track crop heath which would be a game changer given the time it takes to visit farmers individually to inspect their fields.

Thanks!

Miles

Joaquin_Otero1
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Is there any news about this topic? I found it very useful too!

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Qbert111
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

This would be really useful for me too, currently working with an Ecology company to implement a new system for data capture, I really like Appsheet, but this is stopping me from being able to use it with them.

Carpenedo
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

This is a must have!

Yes for Polygons support!! 

Jimmy_Graves
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I am another person wanting this...

VictorDS
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

This Polygons support will be helpful! I wait this update!

Max_Moreno_Jr
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Agree, this would be a great game changer for field surveys.