Map View Offline Capabilities

According to this https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/953714-offline-sync-the-essentials Google Maps data is not able to be chached for offline use since it would violate the TOS.
Now that AppSheet is part of Google can we expect this to change? I had not known this before, but not being able to generate a map offline is pretty useless when it comes to a โ€˜fieldโ€™ inspection type application.

1 10 612
  • UX
10 REPLIES 10

Map layer/image to cover across all the streets, buildings on this earth is going to be massive amount of data. To make the maps working with full function, zooming in them show new image (map) etc as we are online, the app is always reload the image (map layer) based on the interaction by the app users. This is not a story specific to Appsheet.
Unless the unexpected new technology is introduced by someone genius, it sounds difficult to pre-load all the map layer across the globe so that all the map feature become functional during off line.

For the moment.

I certainly agree that on a global scale it is essentially impossible. However the offline capability within Google Maps does allow for an extensive amount of map data to be downloaded. So realistically even just allowing the same capability as within native Google Maps would be sufficient.

Yes, I agree. Not sure what the technical implication where the appsheet map function and google map app are employing as they works bit differenty for some point, but hope appsheet map functionality would get better and also hope we are able to get the proper professional advice here in this commuity from appsheet team.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Iโ€™ll ask about his internally.

@Steve did you hear anything on this yet? I would really like for this to work, otherwise I may have to go another route for my field inspection component as some areas are unfortunately in dead zones.

No response yet. I wouldnโ€™t hold my breath.

Iโ€™ve received a response! It turns out itโ€™s not merely a license issue, itโ€™s the specific technology AppSheet is currently using. AppSheet uses the Google Maps browser API, which isnโ€™t designed for offline support. Sounds like offline support would be a big shift. Iโ€™m told the developers plan to look at offline support, but nothing coming in the near-term.

Appreciate the follow up @Steve! Thatโ€™s too bad, but I guess something I will just have to work with for the time being. I wish I had more time on my hands to explore full stack dev on this, but alas I will just roll with what I have and hope the higher powers to be are happy with it.

Thought I would check back in on this topic if developers have given this any further thought or actually started doing some development towards this?

I have made do with what I have so far within my inspection application, but again I am still hitting some severe limitations in dead zones.

Iโ€™m unaware of any movement on this.

Top Labels in this Space