March 3 Office Hours

Thanks for joining office hours this morning! A recording of the session is available below:

Also, the ‘Notes & Meetings’ app we predominantly discussed with a variety of different action examples is available here to check out or copy into your account. :arrow_left: Check it out and let us know what if you have questions or feedback to upgrade!

Hello,

Joining for my first Office Hours.

Questions on Training / Resources:

1. Does Appsheet have a recommendation for training resources (i.e. instructor-led)? I know videos exist, looking for something a bit more 2-way.

2. Does Appsheet have any recommendation for technical developers to build solutions in Appsheet?

Technical Questions:

1. It’s easy to add columns to a table, and then regenerate structure. It’s intelligent, works smoothly. I’ve now built out an application, mapped various UX / Views to the table, created slices, etc. Now I need to add 1100 rows / records to this table. How do I do this without starting from scratch, and losing all the configuration work? Manually adding rows doesn’t generate a key for those entries.

2. Feasibility Sanity Check - Possible to send a review form to users via email, and link to a form / record to edit? We’re trying to build a workflow solution that asks about 100 team members to review records, and perform updates if needed.

Thanks,

Bruno

When I preview my app in browser mode, none of my drop down boxes are there. In fact, it is totally unusable.

Do I need to do something to make a browser version?

Can I set it to never allow a browser version?

Hi I’m also just a customer / client on this call, I wanted to let you know this seems to be a bug.

Solution / Workaround: Start an incognito session in your browser (or clear all cookies / cache). When you go to the app, the browser preview will be accurate. If you make further changes, it won’t be reflected. You must re-clear cache / cookies.

This has been a pain for us, and the solution has been relying on Tablet view for most of the development

1 Like

Thanks Bruno. I hope there is a way to disable a browser version. It appears to show data structure that we don’t want seen.

Welcome to Office Hours @Bruno_Colorado! I’m happy to help address the first few questions for you.

A great place to start is going to to be the resources in this post, specifically the Udemy AppSheet Academy. As for the two way communication, Office Hours and posts on the community are your best source for dialogue and our App Creators learn a ton from each other.

As for the technical developers question, are you asking if you can hire someone to help build out technical solutions within AppSheet?

Yes that’s correct. I work for the State of Colorado, and we were a big enterprise App Maker customer. It appears like various business solutions will eventually be moved to Appsheet, if a technical fit, but we’re looking for potential development resources to rebuild those App Maker applications within Appsheet. This would be in addition to training resources to be able to build solutions internally.

Thanks for the training resources, it’s not quite the same as being able to have a real-time back and forth, but it might have to do.

(1) I am very interested in getting a link for the tutorial it was just mentioned on how to reference different tables (as to create a CRM type app).

(2) Should the processing of data (merging tables, or making calculations) be done outside of Appsheet (lets say, on a separate Google Sheet) and then me imported as a new table to Appsheet? What is the recommended method, particularly for an advanced Google Sheets user.

Thanks

Hi, is there any plan to add document caching to AppSheet on Window’s desktop? I make heavy use of offline PDF caching for the mobile app and would appreciate the same feature on Windows.

I am referring to the last paragraph of this help article:

The browser must be online when the AppSheet application is first loaded. Once the app is loaded, it can be used when the device is offline or has intermittent network connectivity. However, offline image and document caching will not work. You can keep working in this manner offline as long as the page isn’t closed / unloaded. Saved changes will persist across page reloads / browser restarts for all data types except images or documents in a form. For images or documents, sync must be performed before that browser tab is closed-- otherwise, the captured image/document content will be lost.

Thank you

For different database connections you can review the list here:

and the support articles here under “Data Integrations”:

1 Like

Be in the lookout for a follow up email from our team :slight_smile:

Okay thanks I’ll be on standby for a followup. Have a great day!

Hi my first Office Hours session.

Q: Can you trigger an action after a scheduled report has run? E.g. after exporting expenses, update the ‘export flag’ to denote they have been exported?

The Colorado Google account representative has reached out, thanks for making that connection!

@Lucinda_Mason do you have a screenshot that you’re comfortable sharing to display what’s taking place?

mobile view

browser view

Have to leave for a meeting. I’ll check back for your response. Thanks.

For those looking for more information regarding Actions (a subset of behaviors), here’s a link to additional documentation

As a fellow Colorado resident, I welcome you. I’ve been working and developing on AppSheet for a while now, so if you need any help feel free to shoot messages at me.

Hi Bruno,
In response to your technical question #1:

It’s easy to add columns to a table… Now I need to add 1100 rows / records to this table. How do I do this without starting from scratch, and losing all the configuration work? Manually adding rows doesn’t generate a key for those entries.

I use the following formula in Google Sheets on my ID column

=DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,4294967295),8)

Instructions

1. Drag down the cell that contains the formula for all 1100 rows.
  2. After you have populated the column with the formula, select the entire column besides the header row, copy, then Paste Special - ‘Paste Values Only’.
  3. Make sure when you select an id cell, it shows the unique ID and not the formula. At this point you now want to enter the UNIQUEID() expression in the initial value in Appsheet for the ID column and mark that column as the ‘Key’ in Appsheet. These steps ensure that Appsheet will generate the unique id moving forward in the app and not Google Sheets.
  4. Tip - not required- I click on the whole id column and change the column type from ‘Automatic’ to ‘Plain Text’. I have run into problems before not doing so for very large data sets.

I got all of this from Appsheet’s help article:
Manually Generating UNIQUEID() Key Values

Use VLookup or Index and Match formula combination to ‘redo’ your multiple table child references if this is applicable.

I did a project a while back where the client wanted App Maker for the office and Appsheet for the field staff. We thought we needed Javascript capabilities. We ended up ditching App Maker and only using Appsheet with Google Cloud. We were able to do everything we needed and more in Appsheet and stored procedures in MySQL greatly helped as well.
You will be very happy with Appsheet over App Maker.

Hope this helps!
Caleb

3 Likes