May Office Hours

The next AppSheet Office Hours is Tuesday, May 28 at 9am PT. We’ll introduce some new features and do some live Q&A. (If you can’t join, register anyway and you’ll receive a recording afterward).

Please add any of your questions in the comments below, we’ll be reviewing this thread live during the webinar - we’ll also take time to review the following topics:

• Improved Map Performance & New Point Grouping
  • Intro to Okta Authentication
  • Using Webhooks to Copy Data Between Tables
  • Partitioning Review (how to speed up your app)
  • Dereferences Review
  • Templates for Digitizing Invoices, Receipts & BOLs

UPDATE: Recording available here: https://youtu.be/qzM55wprqig

3 32 2,505
32 REPLIES 32

keithb1
Participant II

Is there a way to add an icon to the launch bar (or menu) which goes to another AppSheet app?

Hi Keith, thank you for the question! Right now we don’t support linking to apps or views directly from a menu/launch bar icon. It’s possible for you to create a gallery of icons in a particular view and have that view as your main launcher. Please check for “app launcher” in help.appsheet.com for a quick guide.

Sean_Lim
Participant V

Will regular expressions be supported?

For partitioning review, is it best to setup with a SQL database to speed up? Or Excel or Google Docs should work fine for a 1-100 user per app?

@CBSST It mostly depends on how many rows each user will add or need access to in a single application. For high usage applications. 100K new rows per month, you will likely want SQL. ~10k New rows per month you can still handle pretty well with sheets and partitioning. The benifit of Partitioning vs SQL is that you can still retain the ease of access and flexible usage/ special features of Cloud Spreadsheets. SQL takes more skills to query and manipulate data.

our company employs many field technicians
each technician has over 1000 procedures that he may use depending on the job to be completed
I would like to make an app to assist in finding the correct procedure for the job.
I am unsure if the chatbot would work for this

I’m Starting to use the plataform and I love it, I’m using Publisher Pro subscription, Can I Use Webhooks to Copy Data Between Tables in this Plan?

Sean_Lim
Participant V

Custom map upload? For example if you have a blueprint of a building, can you use it as a map view and index entries by location points on this uploaded map?

It’s available Please check for the XY column type where you can upload your custom map.

Markuspol
Participant I

I have a list with 5000 clients, and I want to create a screen to filter data. Type of population, serial number, customer reference. It’s possible? without using smart assistent because I use serial numbers.

Each client has a numerical reference type “1901021”. In the list all the works made to all the clients appear. I want that if a worker enters this data, only the excel lines appear with this reference. I do not want you to see the entire list only the query data.

Is this feature enable in a PREMIUM or PRO plan ?

Hi Fernando, it’s available as an add-on in business subscriptions. If you want to enquire about business subscriptions you can visit https://solutions.appsheet.com/contact

Hi

On Maps can import i.e all pizza shops in UK ? from google maps or anywhere?
Q: can i also make the points any bigger than some websites do on a googlemap?

gpjoseph
Participant II

I’m using a web hook with Zapier and while it works beautifully. I have to have the user wait until sync to use the second table. I have no problem with that but I wish I can pause the screen for that one view until the sync is complete.

@gpjoseph YES!! That would be a great feature. An option to delay sync until API responds with Success or Error. That way the data or result of the webhook would be immediately visible in the app (As the user naturally expects).

Thank you!

Markuspol
Participant I

Can you recommend me where I can take an advanced course of appsheet?
I see that you all have a very high level, and I can not find where I can train.
some book?

Hi @Markuspol , There is a beginner course on Udemy, but no “Advanced Course” at the moment. You can connect with an AppSheet partner that offers structured training to get comprehensive training. My firm (QREW) does offer structured training services. You can DM me or email stefan@qrewtech.com if interested.

If appropriate can you address when this functionality might be available within AppSheet itself. I know it is talked about quite a bit.

Can you partition columns instead of rows?

Caleb
Participant I

I understand why partitions would be so valuable with Google Sheets as far as speed.

For MySQL, is there a difference between using Partitions vs using Security Filters as far as sync speed?

@Caleb_Dowdy Data partitioning is really a feature for Cloud Spreadsheets. Security filters work far more effectively on SQL back ends (because they are translated to SQL queries) and so you don’t need partitioning

Thanks!

What is the difference between PARTITIONING and SECURITY FILTER in terms of performing?

@Fernando_Lopez They are very similar, but Partitioning should theoretically give better sync performance. They can be used in combination as well.

Markuspol
Participant I

Can you recommend me where I can take an advanced course of appsheet?
I see that you all have a very high level, and I can not find where I can train.
some book?

Thanks! Guys pretty clear for me now!

That’s great about the Map, can i ask the website you mentioned again to map the pins

In terms of performance, is it better to have the dereferenced column or to have a column in the table?

Is it possible to connect to Ebay’s API in anyway? and bring Ebay Item Specifics into the App? At the moment i download one category at a time and manually add the item specifics one by one

@Paul_Lou_M_palocell I would recommend using a 3rd party web connector (Zapier / Integromat) to handle this type of activity. These tools allow you to receive the data payloads of a Webhook call from appsheet and use that data elsewhere. An example workflow may look like this:

• Webhook from AppSheet with request parameters to Zapier
  • Zapier catches that hook and sends an outgoing GET request to eBay using parameters you specified in the AppSheet payload
  • Zapier Catches the response data from eBay
  • Zapier writes that data to the google sheet that powers your app.
  • Zapier sends an Email to you letting you know the data has been added and has a deep link to your app.