Migrate App to Office 365, but sync slow down...

Migrate App to Office 365, but sync slow down.

My app is based on data from Google sheet, and then i migrated the app to office 365 by copying the app and data and save to MS.

It works perfect, but the problem is the sync speed is slowing down.

I noticed the newly generated excel files within Onedrive does have max number of the row/columns, not like a google sheet where we user have a control to delete the unused columns and rows by choice.

I delete the unused cells and rows on excel online, by selecting area where i donโ€™t use, but MS seems not to allow this actions. After deleting the selected area, still MS excel online shows the entire (max) number of the available rows and columns even after that.

Not sure if this is a cause of slow response and sync from the app, but most likely. Also this might not be a question to raise in this community, but anyone do you know how to delete the unused columns and rows from ms excel online?

0 14 644
14 REPLIES 14

Yes, Office 365 is slower than Google Drive.

How significant is the slowdown though? Could you share the sync times?

@praveen hi Praveen, it is almost double, it takes approximately 10-15 sec on google, but office 365 nearly double. Both apps have the exactly same definitions and data sources.

That is not totally surprising. How many tables do you have? Also, try using the โ€œsync levelโ€ setting below the app emulator to see if higher sync levels make a difference

@praveen around 20 tables in total, but most of table do have minimal numbers of columns. I m currently on pro plan, testing with corporate plan is improving sync speed, but not massive nor significantly.

@praveen do we have any tips to improve the sync speed ?

The problem is the latency associated with reading each table. Have you checked the performance profiler to see if any one table is causing the most time?

@praveen There is no remarkable table which take huge amount of time to read, time to read each table are relatively averaged out across the whole tables. However, the worse is calculating virtual column in one particular table, it takes 5 sec although the table size is relatively small rather than biggest one.

I assumed the App might be reading and pushing the data back and forth from server to device even for the empty row. So added security filter for all the table (only pull the data with key column is NOT empty), but this did not change the sync speed noticeably.

Only option to speed up sync is to move to higher app plan?

What is the app name? Iโ€™m happy to take a look at the performance profiler.

Virtual column times can be confusing. For example, if it is computing a column in table A that depends on table B, then it may have to wait for table B to be read. So it looks like the time is to compute the virtual column but most of that time is just waiting for the table B

@praveen Hi Praveen, app name is Office365copytest-539559

Appreciate if you could have a quick look. thank you.

@tsuji_koichi @praveen
Can you confirm that with Office365 sync time is still 2 times longer than with Google Sheets?

@praveen

Hi Fabian,
I copied a small app which sits on googlesheet onto my excel online as data source. So basically I cloned app on MS account.
I cant clearly remember how slowly the MS behaived, but on this test, i could not find out much of difference. The sync speed is same (as feeling).

Not sure what is going to happen with the app with large data set, but quick testing didnt show much of negative result.

hope this would help.

Cheers.

It is slower than Google Sheets. I cannot say it is 2 times slower exactly. The effects are more relevant when there are concurrent users and in particular, concurrent updates. Google Sheets is architecturally a better fit when multiple people are reading/writing at the same time.

@tsuji_koichi @praveen Thank you very much for sharing your insights.

You are welcome, mate.

Top Labels in this Space