Modifying data of a table from another table

I´m reading this article: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1363923-changing-data-from-a-workflow-rule-or-scheduled-report
And maybe I´m misunderstanding something or maybe there´s an error in the example.

1. Create an action. Set Action name to “Update Employee Status”. Set For a record of this table to the Employees table. Set Do this to “Data: set the values of some column in this row”. Configure the column and value to set the employee’s status to “Assigned”.

2. Create an action. Set Action name to “Get Employees to Update”. Set For a record of this table to the Employees table. Set Do this to “Data: execute an action on a set of rows”. Set Referenced table to the Employees table. Set Referenced Action to “Update Employee Status”. Set Referenced Rows to an expression that returns a list of row keys from the Employees table. The row keys will be used by AppSheet to identify the employees to be updated. For example, to select the employee that has been assigned to the current project, use the expression:

SELECT(Employees[Employee ID], [Employee ID] = [_THISROW].[Employee ID])

1. Create a workflow rule. Set Rule name to “On Adding New Project”. Set Target data to the Projects table. Set Update event to “ADDS_ONLY”. Set Reaction to “Change Data”. Set Workflow Action Name to “Get Employees to Update”. Set Data Change Action Name to “Update Employee Status”.

The last sentence is the problem: "Set Data Change Action Name to “Update Employee Status”. The dropdown only shows options from the same table. The generated actions referencing to Employees table do not appear as an option, so I cannot select the action.

Is this an error in the article or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Solved Solved
1 13 10.3K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is My Action set-up:

And this is the Workflow:

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

hru
Participant V

It should work if action#2 Set For a record of this table Employees Table is changed to Set For a record of this table Project Table.

Thanks but no. If the change is set to the Project Table, then the Action 1 won´t appear in the “Referenced Action” drop down.
And if I change the table on the Action 1, then I´m not making a change in the Employees table.

I´d created a project just with the example data and it´s not working.

This is My Action set-up:

And this is the Workflow:

Hi @Gaston_Barcia,

Just to further add what I did for the last paragraph of the help article (which also confused me initially when following it through), a little bit typo as can be seen on below snapshot:

Maybe someone could fix the typos in the original document?
@Aleksi @Santiago @Peter @Steve

Can someone fix the original article? It would save the readers some time. After reading it and not getting the solution I came across this community post.

Good afternoon @hru, I have read this other article: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/IMPORTANT-You-won-t-be-able-to-create-new-Work... 340376

With which, I understand that the solution proposed here is no longer viable.

So I would like to ask you, if you can guide me on how is it currently done to modify certain fields of certain records of a table_2 from the changes in a certain record of a table_1?

Thanks.

Lynn
Participant V

Hi @Gaston_Barcia
If you have not already solved your problem, there is a demo app in my portfolio Trucks WF that may be useful.
https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/129805
Full instructions are here

Thank you.

Your instructions are very clear and helpful.

@Penny_G
Thank you, glad you found them useful.

Lynn
Participant V

@Peter

Hi,

after hours of tests, we must notice that this solution works only if one of the 2 table references the other one.

In others terms, if there is no reference between both tables, it does not work.

I'm still looking for a solution in following case, I got :

1. Table A (list of products, with an product ID)
  2. Table B
    1. referred to Table A
    2. list of product movements
  3. Table C
    1. referred to Table A
    2. list of available quantities, resulting of movements above

and each time a movement is recorded, it should modify available quantities of the same product

I would be grateful for any help

cessnafrrg
Participant I

I am trying to solve a similar problem, but where Table 2 supplies data to Table 1. Lets assume in the above example, instead of setting the [Employee Status] to "Assigned", you would like to update that column with the [Project Name]. Any ideas on how that can be done?

Top Labels in this Space