(Moon Shot) Correlate multiple edits on a single record into one sync/push

MultiTech
Participant V

Hey everyone.

I was just brainstorming ideas on how I might improve the sync performance of an app I’m working on, and I had an idea and wanted to throw it out there.

But it’s kinda crazy. lol

Basically the idea is that when you’re working in the app, and you’ve got sync/updates that are stacking up, eventually you might get to a point where you say, “Okay, time to sync,” and you tap the Sync button.

At that point, the sync process proceeds (or continues) with uploading each edit made in sequential order; one by one.

The idea I had was, what if there was a way, only when you hit the sync button, that the app looks at all the updates it’s got on deck and correlates all the edits made to the same record into ONE update.

For example:

I’ve got an order app and, being a power user, I know how to move through the app really fast to get what I need done and recorded - which stacks up the edits because they can’t sync as fast as I can make them. So I go through the following steps:

1. I create a new order
  2. I add detail records to the order
  3. At some point in the middle of these new details, I change some of the previous detail records (update a count, or total or something).
  4. I go back to the order and mark it as “ready” or whatever.

So at that point, let’s say I have 30 edits that needs to sync; but 10 of those are actually just modifications to previous records (possibly multiple edits to the same one - I couldn’t make up my mind and edited the thing 26 times!!!)…

What I’m saying is, and I know this would be hard due to the whole order of opperations, workflows, triggers, etc., but it would be nice to see the multiple edits made to any one record all combined together into one instruction/sync/update/what-have-you.

This way, my list of 30 would drop to 20; or 4 in the case where I couldn’t make up my mind!

A moon shot for sure, but if you’ve got an app where you’re doing a lot of stuff (most of the time to the same parent records) this could have an improvement.

As always, thanks for considering!!!

Status Open
1 1 277