Moving Google Sheet to Google Cloud SQL database challenges

Has anyone else had issues moving a Google Sheet app to a Google Cloud SQL database? I’m curious if someone could let me know where I went wrong with mine. The automatic copy to SQL from Appsheet didn’t work for me. Not certain why. So I went and manually created all my tables and columns in my database and then attempted to important a CSV downloaded from Google Sheets with no luck. Tried a variety of different methods with MySQL Workbench crashing every time I tried. Eventually, I tried downloading the Google Sheet in .ods format and then saving to CSV from there on my PC instead of going straight from Excel. After that I was able to import all of my CSVs with no issue. I’m just curious for future what the cause of this may have been. Files always showed encoded as UTF-8 if that matters.

One other thing, when I saved from the .ods file, I had to save the CSV as MS-DOS type.

We were running in Smartsheets but now run in Google Cloud on postgres. I did not transfer any files over but just created new tables in postgres. With postgres, there is an option to import a csv to an existing table, I am unsure about importing to a new table.

Also, it was a difficult transition but the apps sync so much faster and scale to hundreds of users while still syncing faster. If you are not fully committed to mysql, I would recommend postgres. PGadmin works well.

1 Like

We use MySQL and dbforge as our interface with our databases and have had no issues importing data from CSVs or creating new tables from CSVs.

1 Like

I migrated to a Google Cloud Postgres SQL

I installed pgAdmin on my desktop just to keep an eye on the database.

At first, I kept failing because one of my tables has text in an int col. I realized this after carefully reading the error that I got.

Then it would just fail for random errors. I just kept trying and before I would start again I would delete all the tables out of the database via pgAdmin.

Then it worked!

Hope that helps if you are using a Postgres SQL server. pgAdmin might help you keep an eye on things