Multi-Line Tables with Text Wrapping

I was not able to change the category of my previous post on allowing for text-wrappable tables, so making a new post in Feature Request.

Status Under Review
52 15 1,852
15 Comments
Sean_Lim
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Hi! Thanks for considering my feature request. Have there been any developments regarding text wrapping in table views recently?

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Sean_Lim!

I don’t know of any new developments. I tried to collate the information that is currently available about how to control the appearance of tables views (to the extent that is possible) here:

If wrapping becomes possible, I’d like to add it to the list.

Jeremy_Taylor
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

This would be a great option to have, +1 from me!

Justine_Hees

In the process of transitioning an app from App Maker to App Sheet and would really like this feature in order to create similar Dashboards that we currently have in App Maker.

MrLee
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

It would be great if Appsheet updates this feature for customers.

Jonathan_S

Agree

Ali_Sabir
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes, + 1 for me - this is such a basic feature specially for desktop browser apps. Since AppSheet is primarily designed for Mobile, it lacks basic formatting features such as controlling column width, spacing, text wrapping, etc.

pravse
Staff

We have a focus this year on improving the desktop/full-screen browser UI. So we’ll roll this requirement into that work.

That said, this one may be difficult. The reason is that right now, view rendering is very efficient because the data is “fetched” (all within the browser or device) just in time as you scroll. The code fetches just enough data to show on the screen and then as you scroll, it anticipates and fetches a few rows ahead at a time. Now if the height of the displayed rows is uniform, this is seamless. If the height is non-uniform, the whole optimization stops working well.
So in light of this, we have to consider if cell wrapping (and the uneven line height that comes with it) leads to unacceptable scroll performance. Don’t know yet, but that has been the concern in the past.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alan_Thorp
Silver 1
Silver 1

Would it be possible to have the row so that it can be toggled to wrapped once it has loaded and is in view. Maybe an expand button. It may need to reset once the table scrolls.

Status changed to: Under Review
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

FaCe
Silver 2
Silver 2

Please may you add this great feature request ASAP ?

Thanks for listening 

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

Hello @Roderick  ! Eagerly looking forward to updates on this. Has there been any notable progress? It would be fantastic to have features such as multi-line or multi-column support, akin to the existing deck view. Would love to hear more!

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.33.55 PM.png

victsei
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hoping for this feature to be developed

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

Any news on this feature update? It's a game-changer for UI. Any word from the AppSheet team on this?

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 10.15.43.png