My app currently loads very slowly, i'm guess...

My app currently loads very slowly, i’m guessing it’s because i’ve a relatively massive db so users have to download alot of info every time they open up the app, while i would still like the user to sync at start, is there a way that i could limit how many entries the users have to download everytime they start the app / sync so that they dont need to download the whole thing before they could actually start browsing?

0 18 352
18 REPLIES 18

Indeed, User Settings are meant for this purpose. Please see the articles in this section help.appsheet.com - DATA | AppSheet Help Center DATA | AppSheet Help Center help.appsheet.com

Hi Simon, how massive is the data set? Is the data set readonly or is it read-write? If it doesn’t change too often, you could enable delta-sync and that will only download the data if the underlying file modified timestamp has changed (only valid for Google Drive at the moment)

Hi Praveen, thanks for getting back to me, it’s currently 5K entries and we’re having a daily 2K new entries a day. It’s read only and I’ve already checked delta sync, any other thoughts would be appreciated

Simon, do you need all the data always or are you able the filter not relevant data away?

Hi Aleksi, i’m afraid the users would need access to all the data, but not all at once so i’m wondering if there’s any chance that they can actually just cache part of the data when the app first loads / sync instead of downloading everything everytime

Well… would you please give us more details about your structure. It’s little bit difficult to think if we don’t understand the big picture. For example in what way you don’t need data at the beginning? How your users can work if they don’t have all data?

sure! so basically we’re developing this app where people can look for a house that’s currently listing for sale, so when the users log in they are supposed to see some of those listings. Ideally it’d be great if they can download the first 30 listing first, and when they go further down, they could load another 30 entries, without loading the 5k entries everytime they log in. I’m a tech newbie and I hope i’m clarifying myself clear enough. Million thanks in advance!

Would it be possible to download only nearest houses? Then you could use security filter and one user would need to download just small part of that data.

would it be possible to have them to search for download from a smaller segment of the data (lets say the nearest house) and if they have finished browsing these data they can load other house at some preset locations at their choosing later on? like a button to click on with different names of locations on it

Hi Simon, how massive is the data set? Is the data set readonly or is it read-write? If it doesn’t change too often, you could enable delta-sync and that will only download the data if the underlying file modified timestamp has changed (only valid for Google Drive at the moment)

Hi Praveen, thanks for getting back to me, it’s currently 5K entries and we’re having a daily 2K new entries a day. It’s read only and I’ve already checked delta sync, any other thoughts would be appreciated

Simon, do you need all the data always or are you able the filter not relevant data away?

Hi Aleksi, i’m afraid the users would need access to all the data, but not all at once so i’m wondering if there’s any chance that they can actually just cache part of the data when the app first loads / sync instead of downloading everything everytime

Well… would you please give us more details about your structure. It’s little bit difficult to think if we don’t understand the big picture. For example in what way you don’t need data at the beginning? How your users can work if they don’t have all data?

sure! so basically we’re developing this app where people can look for a house that’s currently listing for sale, so when the users log in they are supposed to see some of those listings. Ideally it’d be great if they can download the first 30 listing first, and when they go further down, they could load another 30 entries, without loading the 5k entries everytime they log in. I’m a tech newbie and I hope i’m clarifying myself clear enough. Million thanks in advance!

Would it be possible to download only nearest houses? Then you could use security filter and one user would need to download just small part of that data.

would it be possible to have them to search for download from a smaller segment of the data (lets say the nearest house) and if they have finished browsing these data they can load other house at some preset locations at their choosing later on? like a button to click on with different names of locations on it

Indeed, User Settings are meant for this purpose. Please see the articles in this section help.appsheet.com - DATA | AppSheet Help Center DATA | AppSheet Help Center help.appsheet.com

Top Labels in this Space