My Report keeps coming up blank even though t...

security
(Neil Boisen) #1

My Report keeps coming up blank even though there are records in the underlying table.

Here is the template I am using…

<<Start:Select(Monthly Report[Bio ID],TRUE)>> Facility: <<[Facility]>> Staff Name: <<[Staff Name]>> Date of Birth: <<[Date of Birth]>> Sex: <<[Sex]>> Prof ID: <<[Prof ID]>> NRC: <<[NRC]>> Phone 1: <<[Phone 1]>> Phone 2: <<[Phone 2]>> Service Start Date: <<[Service Start Date]>> Post Start Date: <<[Post Start Date]>> Designation: <<[Designation]>> Posting Type: <<[Posting Type]>> Status: <<[Status]>> Notes: <<[Notes]>> <>

“Monthly Report” is a slicer and “Bio ID” is the key of the underlying table.

Is there something wrong with the template? Might the issue be with the security filter on the underlying table?

(Aleksi Alkio) #2

Your template seems to be okay. Perhaps the security filter is filtering the data.

(Neil Boisen) #3

When I removed the security filter, the data shows up in the report.

So now I have to figure out how to override the security filter to allow publishing of the report!

Any thoughts?

(Aleksi Alkio) #4

My idea of that “last 31 days” was because I saw your name “Monthly report”.

(Aleksi Alkio) #5

If the app is showing the data correctly, the workflow should show the same data. If it doesn’t, your workflow or slice etc. is filtering the data in wrongly way.

(Neil Boisen) #6

Ah.

Well, they must submit an HR report every month with a complete list of all active staff, showing any changes.

(Neil Boisen) #7

The data shows correctly in the Table View.

And the Workflow report is based on the same table… no additional filter or slicer.

(Aleksi Alkio) #8

Are you using Start & End expression in your template or do you have another filter there?

(Neil Boisen) #9

No other filter in the template.

Just the Start/End expression that you can see in my initial post above (<<Start:Select(Monthly Report[Bio ID],TRUE)>>).

(Aleksi Alkio) #10

Ok. I will check the app after few hours. Please give the account ID, app name and workflow.

(Neil Boisen) #11

I think I may have figured it out. First, this was not a WorkFlow, but rather a Report. Second, I have been testing it by running it using the “Run” button in the app editing window.

And this might not take into account the UserSettings.

So I tried making a WorkFlow report using the same template and fired it on all changes… and the report worked fine.

It showed only the data filter by the security filter.

So now I will text the Report version by firing it DAILY with a time set from a few minutes from now to see if it is triggered from within the app with user settings set if the report works properly.

Thanks for your HINTS as going in the right direction.

I will let you know if the Report version of the template works when fired automatically or not.

Additional Question:

Is there a way to trigger a Workflow email report using an Action button?

(Aleksi Alkio) #12

Yes you can do that

(Neil Boisen) #13

Do you have a link to a reference which explains?

I don’t want the workflow email to be triggered by any data change, only by the action button.

So what do I set as the “update event” in the workflow. And what do I set as the “Effect> Do This” in the Action.

(Aleksi Alkio) #14

What is your sec filter?

(Neil Boisen) #15

It would be handy if the Email/Attachment templates were visible in the sample apps!

(Aleksi Alkio) #16

With the action button you need one column. Best would be the Datetime because it’s easy to update with NOW().

(Neil Boisen) #17

@Aleksi_Alkio

Ah!

It took me a while to figure out what you were hinting in your last post (…need one column).

So let me check if I get it now.

You are suggesting that I create a new DateTime column I update using an Action and that the Workflow will check this column and whenever it changes will send the email alert.

Is that correct?

If so, what Condition should be used in the Workflow so that only changes to the new DateTime column trigger the Workflow and NOT changes to any other columns?

(Neil Boisen) #18

@Aleksi_Alkio

Ah!

It took me a while to figure out what you were hinting in your last post (…need one column).

So let me check if I get it now.

You are suggesting that I create a new DateTime column I update using an Action and that the Workflow will check this column and whenever it changes will send the email alert.

Is that correct?

If so, what Condition should be used in the Workflow so that only changes to the new DateTime column trigger the Workflow and NOT changes to any other columns?

(Aleksi Alkio) #19

Create an action button which will write NOW() into that column. Then you can check the codition with AND(ISNOTBLANK([Column]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Column]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[Column])

(Neil Boisen) #20

Super!

Thanks for the help.