Native support for mp3 files

This is a topic that has been brought up many times in the past but I think it may be worth bringing it up again.

I would love to have to ability to play mp3 files inside of AppSheet. Ideally, I’d like to have the option of displaying a progress bar and other controls or having an action play sounds from mp3 files in the background, without the appearance of controls on the user’s screen. I can imagine applications for both capabilities. If the controls are difficult to implement, just making it possible for an action to invoke a little mp3 file via a URL would be great.

Currently, it is possible to include a link to an mp3 that causes AppSheet to open the file in the device’s browser. That’s better than nothing but it does require that one leave the app, which is not ideal.

I know that others are interested in capturing mp3 files as well. Personally, I’m particularly interested in the capability to play sounds but the ability to capture audio would be nice to have too.

Thanks for your consideration.

Status Open
15 5 1,215
5 Comments
Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Kirk_Masden. You can also use the column type “File”.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Thanks @Fabian! I was able to download the file in your sample app and then change the extension to mp3. Unfortunately, though, the file wouldn’t play inside the app in my browser or inside the app on my Android phone. I haven’t tried to test it yet on an iPhone yet but I think we still need more support.

karimmc
Silver 1
Silver 1

Yes, I also think this would be a very useful feature.
And, who knows, maybe even in the future an audio-to-text functionality supported by google’s machine learning capabilities.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

We can save mp3/4 file from file type column from appsheet. Read the folder where those files are save as table for Appsheet.
we will have [path] column at the end. Pass this [path] field value to show type column as content. Then video will be played.
As one of the workaroudn to save video from appsheet and show the same video file with the same apps.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager