Need help with virtually switching rows and c...

Need help with virtually switching rows and columns

In my smartsheet I have rows of activities that are either complete or not for each column that corresponds to a room. My struggle is that when working with the data in the field I want to be looking at a specific room and updating itโ€™s activities. When I view in Smartsheet I want to see the progress for each room going down the sheet (rows). I am having trouble getting my head around how to essentially swap rows and columns for purposes of entering data. Anybody tackled anything like this before? I have looked at using slices for each column but canโ€™t get ti to conform into something workable.

0 3 324
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Bill, in general, you want to have each entity in your app correspond to one table/sheet, and each entity instance correspond to one row in that table.

So if your app is about Room and the room has a property for each activity (completed or not), then youโ€™ll want to have each room represented as a row and each column correspond to an activity.

What I am trying to avoid is having to deal with a situation where I have a few rooms (27) and lots of activities (184) I think this would be a massive undertaking and it means that the users cannot add or delete activities without going into the Appsheet environment.

In that case (if you want users to dynamically add activities), think of having three sheets โ€” Rooms, Activities, and then one more called Completion that is used to record that a particular Activity occurred for a particular Room. So 27 rows in the first table, 184 in the second, and 184*27 in the last one (hmm โ€ฆ may be pushing the famous 5000 row limit in smartsheet?)

Top Labels in this Space