Need help with virtually switching rows and c...

(Bill Brandt) #1

Need help with virtually switching rows and columns

In my smartsheet I have rows of activities that are either complete or not for each column that corresponds to a room. My struggle is that when working with the data in the field I want to be looking at a specific room and updating it’s activities. When I view in Smartsheet I want to see the progress for each room going down the sheet (rows). I am having trouble getting my head around how to essentially swap rows and columns for purposes of entering data. Anybody tackled anything like this before? I have looked at using slices for each column but can’t get ti to conform into something workable.

(Praveen Seshadri (AppSheet)) #2

Hi Bill, in general, you want to have each entity in your app correspond to one table/sheet, and each entity instance correspond to one row in that table.

So if your app is about Room and the room has a property for each activity (completed or not), then you’ll want to have each room represented as a row and each column correspond to an activity.

(Bill Brandt) #3

What I am trying to avoid is having to deal with a situation where I have a few rooms (27) and lots of activities (184) I think this would be a massive undertaking and it means that the users cannot add or delete activities without going into the Appsheet environment.

(Praveen Seshadri (AppSheet)) #4

In that case (if you want users to dynamically add activities), think of having three sheets — Rooms, Activities, and then one more called Completion that is used to record that a particular Activity occurred for a particular Room. So 27 rows in the first table, 184 in the second, and 184*27 in the last one (hmm … may be pushing the famous 5000 row limit in smartsheet?)