Nested Forms is a great feature. I have a que...

Nested Forms is a great feature. I have a question regarding the Nested Form behavior. I have the need to repeat scan to a location. I was provided this information https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-that-repeatedly-scans-barcodes?appGuidString=42fd12f1-16db-4... about how to set up a form view to repeat scan. Is it possible to set a nested form up like this so I donโ€™t have to continually go back to the parent record and click New.

Thanks

Brian

0 7 909
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

i have the exact problem. I have a โ€œcheck order appโ€ using Qr code. Everytime I scan the qr code, iโ€™m in the need to tap the โ€œsaveโ€ button. Auto reopen is working, but autosave isnt , even tho all fields are filled in, some are filled in automatically using references, some have initial values.

As of now the โ€˜form finish behaviorsโ€™ like autosave, autoreopen and form saved action only apply to the top-level form. For this kind of continual scanning behavior itโ€™s still necessary to save the parent record first.

Thanks Adam - Is there any other way with AppSheet to accomplish this? Really like the platform but have a lot to scan and do not want to interact with the application after each scan. It would work fine if I did not need to associate and item to a location.

One option is to make the finish behavior of the parent form to navigate to its own details view. So you would add the parent record first, save without adding line items, it would then navigate directly to the detail view of the record just added with the option to add line items there, and the autosave/autoreopen would then apply to the line items.

Adam I gave it a try and think I am close.

If you have a minute can you watch this video. The autosave/autoreopen is not working on the detail view. Thanks again for the help.

youtube.com - appsheet appsheet

Figured it out. Thanks here is a video of the solution. If there is a better way I am open to suggestions.

Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkrUgsnhyE&feature=youtu.be

YouTube

Hi @Brian_Russell1, sorry I didnโ€™t get back to you sooner, glad you figured it out. The second video wonโ€™t play for me but I could see the problem in the first. For anyone else with this problem, the form UX view was set to data source โ€œLocationโ€ while the barcode scanning was over table โ€œItemsโ€, so the form settings would be applied to the Location form rather than the barcode form. The fix would be to change the form view data source to Items.

Top Labels in this Space