Nested Grouped Actions

I would like to be able to set a Grouped action as part of another Grouped action.

To add context, I have a “universal” input form for users to input what work they did, which upon saving executes the first Grouped action. Most of the sub-actions in the parent group have Behavior expressions so they only run in certain conditions. I would like to add another sub-action for another condition, but I want that sub-action to be another group that executes a large number of other actions. Yes, I could just put all of those new actions as sub-action to the original group, but that would be less resource-efficient (more behavior expressions to evaluate), and less organized.

Status Open
9 7 671
7 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Yes!!! Of course there is the matter of how many levels of nesting are allowed AND circular references.

Vitaliy_Slusar

I have the same issue

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

There is a workaround for this. Create a new action, of type “Execute an action on a set of records”. Set that as the last action in the initial grouping. Point it to the 2nd Grouped action to run. Use LIST([_THISROW]) for the “Referenced Rows” field.

Steve_Chambers
Silver 1
Silver 1

But what if the initial grouped action has behavior conditions that are different from that of the other action you want to group with them?

For example I have one action that copies expense entries into the inventory system, using a condition;
and(
[Inventoried] = “Yes”,
ISBLANK(FILTER(“Inventory In”, [_THISROW].[Expense Id] = [Expense Id]) - LIST([_THISROW]))
)

and another action that uses Steves looping row copy (grouped) actions to add recurring expense entries into another table, using;
and(
[Recurring]=“TRUE”,
OR(ISBLANK([Recurring Add Date]), ([Recurring Add Date] < [Recurring End Date]))
)

I would like to run them both of the expense form saved action, but no dice, should your workaround be viable in this use case or is there another newer workaround you know of maybe…?

Cheers
Steve

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I assume you are describing this setup?

A1: FORM SAVE | Grouped Action 1  *condition 1*
  A1-1: xxx
  A1-n: Execute Action (Grouped Action 2)
    A1-n-1: Grouped Action 2  *condition 2*

If that is your setup, if condition 1 is not met, then none of the Actions will fire.

I’d recommend you set it up like this:

A1: FORM SAVE | Grouped Action 0 *no condition*
  A1-1: Execute Action 1 (Grouped Action 1) *condition 1*
  A1-2: Execute Action 2 (Grouped Action 2) *condition 2*
Steve_Chambers
Silver 1
Silver 1

That did the trick, much appreciated!

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager