New Action to toggle on/off quick edit mode for detail views

When we are working on detail view, the quick edit mode for the selected column is useful as user is no need to open up the form and take action to save. Upon editing column, it immediately synced to the cloud.

However, in the practical world, there is a risk that the user changes the value through the quick edit mode without knowing nor intended.
To enable/disable the quick mode on details view at users choice, I wish to have new action to toggle on/off edit mode on detail view.

Status Open
3 9 880
9 Comments
MultiTech
Participant V

I’ve always just built in ways for each column to tell when it should be okay to be quick editable - status columns, basing things off the role of a user (admin vs. user), etc.

I’m not sure how well something like this would mesh with the current system though. Would there be a way to use a formula to control this new toggle? The more I think about it, the more scenarios I come up with where I wouldn’t want something like this.

I can see what you’re saying about the accidents with quick edits, it’s possible yeah (I’ve done it myself), but I think the solution here is to make use of the Edit If formula for your quick edit columns.

Like in this image, I use an action to set a Status column - which controls the editability of columns:

Nirmal_Giri
Participant III

@MultiTech_Visions
Off the topic… How do you right align all your actions buttons?

MultiTech
Participant V

@Nirmal_Giri yours aren’t?
That’s a system thing; they used to be left aligned, then one day they switched sides suddenly.

This is an older GIF from back then.

Koichi_Tsuji
Participant V

just for your guidance only.

@MultiTech_Visions

Nirmal_Giri
Participant III

@MultiTech_Visions Nope… Mine are right aligned by default… All my apps have the same…
Thats why I asked since left aligned makes better sense and left-aligned action buttons are distinctly visible.

Nirmal_Giri
Participant III

Nirmal_Giri
Participant III

@tsuji_koichi
Thank you… I thought about this. However, my action buttons have conditional visibility.
I feel the button position will look odd when few are hidden.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

clementcjp
Observer

Can we bump this up please as autosync should be considered a potential source of apps service failure when handling File type data.

Potential service failure justification: If you have an app that deals with a number of files, quick edit will attempt to immediately upload the files, and the upload time depends on the size of the file. The larger it is, the longer it takes.

• Point of failure: when AppSheet auto-sync runs in concurrent with an automation or time-based triggered apps script - the apps script then goes into error because it lost the file that it was checking because AppSheet already replaced that file.
  • The reason for apps script is because AppSheet can never handle File validation on the fly. It has been confirmed that the way AppSheet handles File type data is to first upload into Drive then present the location to AppSheet UI
  • So I use apps script to fulfil the validation by creating additional columns to contain the results of the validation (e.g. File type, file size, file dimension)

Suggestion: In addition to the quick edit toggle, put another toggle below to allow the creator to decide if quick edit mode should update on sync, or update on save.