New action type: Go to another view (not a row-level action)

The same “Go to Another View” action type that we already have, but with the “not a row-level” option so it would show overlay on table views, giving us many options like:

-Add row to another table (LINKTOFORM);
-Open Detail or Form of the latest entry of this table (LINKTOROW);
-Apply a filter to this view (LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW);
-Simply go to another view (LINKTOVIEW).

Status Open
1 10 1,076
10 Comments
Info_Main_Offic

hcquadros

I know we already have this option. But my request is to use it as a not a row-level action, displaying it overlay on table views.

Right now we only have 3 “not row-level action” that display on table views, none of them customizable

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

So what you’re really asking for is a different PLACE to put an action; not really a different action.

hcquadros

We can say like that.

For the user, it will be only a new place for the same action. In the editor however, I think it would be a new action type because it would not only show in a new place, but also change the way it works. Since it wouldn’t be a row level action, some row level expressions wouldn’t work.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Possible now using LINKTOVIEW() referencing the target table’s form view, but you can’t pass column value presets.

Possible now to open a form view on the latest entry using a specially-configured form view with a Row key expression.

Possible now to open a form or detail view on the latest entry using the view atop a suitably-configured slice.

That’s literally what slices are for.

Possible now.

hcquadros

I think I didn’t explain myself well. Sorry for that.

I know that everything I said is perfectly possible now, but not from a table view. All those actions, although possible, only can be displayed on a Detail View (prominent or overlay) or Inline. None one those can be Displayed on a Table View.

I have all these functions now on my apps and all of them works perfectly, but I’d like to save a few clicks for my users by putting those actions in a more intuitive place. Extra unnecessary clicks can create a lot of problems.

What I mean is just a new place for those actions (Overlay on Table View), but my guess is that it would be a whole new action type, since it would change the way it works (not row-level action), and not only its appearance.

Applications:

1. Export the table content to Excel. Although its perfectly possible to export to Excel (Workflow, save file or Send Email), we cannot trigger the workflow directly from this view.

2. I have an app that I cannot add a new row while the last row is incomplete. I can hide the the “add” button while there is an incomplete row, but I cannot put a edit overlay action on the table view that would go directly to that incomplete row. I need to click to open the row, then edit. (Many times I’ve listened “The add button disappeared! what should I do?”)

3. Filter the view. We can create slices, we can use LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW actions, but I cannot go from the Main Table View directly to the Filtered View. I always need to impose some extra steps for my users.

An workaround for that is to make a Detail View with only its Related Records. This way, I can put every action I want in the position I want. But again, extra steps.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Yes, they are, as I explained.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Steve what he’s requesting is not currently possible…

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4
Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager