New Bug Encountered: View PDF files from Android device

Hello,
I have a column with a clickable URL. URL is composed by formula and provides a link to google drive. I can open the link from an appsheet app on desktop chrome and on iphone, but I can’t open it on any android phone. I’ve tried 2 phones - Huawei Honor 9 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S, with 2 different accounts, one of which is an app creator account, but same problem. The problem looks following :when I click on the action button to open the link the message appears “downloading pdf” with a progress bar. After a short while it turns red showing “Error downloading PDF” - make sure the url points to a PDF file, and you are connected to the internet. Yes I am connected to the internet and yes it points to a PDF file, because I’ve just clicked the same button on my desktop and on iPhone and it opens a PDF from a google drive.

1 10 1,905
10 REPLIES 10

I’ve found a temporary workaround - I’ve set my action button “Launch external” as well as column link “Launch external”. It works. But there is still something wrong, because I can open links via Chrome and iOs but not via Android within an appsheet app. I will be glad if someone would respond to this issue.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact support@appsheet.com for help with this.

Just for information the status of issue: I’ve been contacted by support, by several people, but till now no solution was provided. I am still using a workaround and on Android device I have issue to open PDF file wilthin the app.

Escalated.

still no solution, also pdf is not opening anymore in external browser ( a column setting)

Hi @APP_Account, I had the same kinda issue, I wanted to download one of my sheets as a PDF file. but when I click the URL in my app it opened in the google drive app instead of opening it in my web browser and the google drive shows all the sheets in my spreadsheet. but I don’t want to see the spreadsheet in mobile. I want to download it automatically as a pdf file when I open it, this has perfectly worked in PC but in mobile, as this is a Google Drive link it redirects to the Google Drive app. if I open the link manually in mobile’s web browser it starts to download. then I found a solution to it.

To solve this, you need to go to a different website first and inside that website you need to have the option to download your PDF file.

Create a webpage for free in sites.google.com and add an HTML button to download your file. make sure in the button’s HTML code, the URL target is set to “_self” as shown <a href=“www.google.com” target="_self" because we need to open the download link in the same tab in order to avoid redirecting it to google drive app. After your webpage is ready, add the web page’s URL to your app. Hope this is helpful to you.

Jude,

Thanks for this info, I will keep it in case the problem comes back. 2 days ago on request of support I tried to simultate the problem again but it was gone. It’s a pity I still don’t know what was wrong or what has been done to solve it. It’s just ok now.

Do this issue have a permanent fix now?

We have the same problem here... it seem that pdf file that exceed 10MB can't be download via android?!

Any permanent fix?

Can anyone help us...we have no idea?!....the problem persists in our app...Please we need help...because we need to put downloadable pdf files in our app for users to see.

Top Labels in this Space