New Data -> Columns view in the editor Start...

New Data -> Columns view in the editor

Starting tomorrow, we are beginning to rollout a new implementation of the Data -> Columns pane. Once fully rolled out to customers, it should allow the editor to get a bit faster, plus some other benefits.

If youโ€™d like to get a jumpstart on trying it out now or at any time this week, you can add &newEditor=true in the address bar. For example:

https://www.appsheet.com/Template/AppDef?appName=MyGreatApp-16350&newEditor=true

I expect this wonโ€™t be perfectly 1:1 to the old columns pane. If there are things that are missing, or irritants, or suggestions for improvement, please do let us know.

0 23 682
23 REPLIES 23

Would be neat to be able to slide between column detail views as in a slideshow.

Kinda annoying the mouse pointer has to be in the column details pane to scroll.

Why standard/expanded view if both are full width? Standard view just makes for a lot of white space and is less functional.

Able to create a virtual column without an app formula.

This is super important for many reasons:

• You can finally have workflows be triggered without having to actually change data.
    Right now we have to either edit a column and reset it back to itโ€™s original value or add a separate column such as [trigger] to accomplish this. Both approaches are very dirty and unneccessary.
  • You can finally start to do magic such as converting a price float (2.10$) to integer cents (210), because you can use the virtual column for input and have an App formula on the real field that converts

Not clear how to cancel a virtual column creation. Delete?

Created virtual column, but not visible in column list until an explicit SAVE. Until that, did it work? User needs feedback.

Error indicator (specifically, for virtual column created w/o app formula) propagated to the table, but not to the column. Had to visit Info to find which column was affected.

No way to abandon edits to a column definition?

Gonna take some getting used to, butโ€“overallโ€“I like it!

+Steve Coile thanks for the deep evaluation. We should be able to iron out many of these soon.

With the new Editor I had problems adding a new Action. There was a Error Message saying

โ€œThe data action {Action_Name] does not define a column to set.โ€ Like reported here:

plus.google.com - im getting this error, does anyone know why? The data action โ€˜Deleteโ€™ does nโ€ฆ im getting this error, does anyone know why? The data action โ€˜Deleteโ€™ does nโ€ฆ plus.google.com

All formulas have been removed and now the LIST command lists every item in the field rather than a drop down list as it used tooโ€ฆits become a real pain! Can you temporarily revert back to the old format so that this problem can be solved. There was no warning on the new format that you implemented so i saved everything and then POW! my appsheet is now bust! Help

Not clear what Delete in the column details pane does for non-virtual columns. This appears to be a new feature. Does Delete persist across Regenerate?

First Glance looks good, but my immediate comments is it is now impossible to see which columns are Virtual.

Yes it will be at the bottom of the list but not all tables have Virtual columns.

Thanks everyone for this feedback. Weโ€™ll pull back the initial rollout today until weโ€™re able to get this feedback addressed. The โ€œnewโ€ editor will continue to be accessible via the &newEditor=true option in the browser address bar.

Like that virtual columns can be created without expanding the column list.

Would prefer the column details pane Show expanded view persist, such that I donโ€™t have to expand the view each time as I edit different columns.

Would also be nice for it to persist across saves so I return to the same layout.

There appears to be no indicator within the column details that Iโ€™ve made a change. If I accidentally click something, or step away from my work and return later, I have no indication that anythingโ€™s changed.

In the column list, suggest putting a flask to the immediate right of the ON/OFF toggles for those fields that allow formulas to allow adding formula directly.

Glad to see Expression Assistant!

Much more compact! Yay!

Virtual columns are no longer differentiated. Not sure how I feel about thatโ€ฆ

I do like, however, that I canโ€™t accidentally delete a virtual column by clicking the checkbox when going to edit it.

On the other hand, deleting multiple virtual columns is now cumbersome.

Top Labels in this Space