New Data Explorer being released for the Appsheet Editor

Hi @Stefan_Quartemont, I chatted with @SkrOYC and it seems that the Qrew Tools Extension doesn’t behave well with the Expression Assistant on Brave Browser so just wanted to call your attention to it.

Best,
Shahaf

1 Like

@Stefan_Quartemont @Shahaf
Open to test if needed. I understand some more advance topics with relative ease and could test with different browsers in case you wonder about that being a problem

2 Likes

Thanks @Shahaf ,

I will look into it. @SkrOYC Can you DM me with some examples of the issues you’re seeing?

Stefan

2 Likes

It’s not in my case, although it’s happening sometimes now.

I tried under Windows and Linux and both are having the same problem, even on incognito mode.
For the record, I use Brave Browser (chromium-based browser) wich is focused on privacy but I have all shields disabled on AppSheet domain.
I don’t use Examples anyway but I might not be the only one with this problem and can troubleshoot if needed

1 Like

I think I’m tired…I made a confusion with another feature. Still not solved :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi @benhare @Shahaf

I saw two small problems and will share them with you.
Note that I have turned off the AppSheet Toolbox.

Insert as list is hidden in the bottom column.

2021-12-02_19h02_20

If I leave the Insert UI open, I can’t select Insert for the bottom column.

2021-12-02_19h03_25

With the release of Data Explorer for Enterprise, I’ve been using it more and more.
It’s a small issue, so as long as it’s addressed in time for the big fix, we’ll be fine.:hugs:

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out, I’m glad you’re using it. I’ll try to address that soon.

3 Likes

Thanks @benhare

I have an additional request regarding DataExplorer.
I think it would be better to add Insert and Insert as list to all tables and columns.
In addition, I would like to see an Insert as De-reference menu added for the referenced destination table.

This is because the current input assistance from Insert menu is a mixture of simple Value, De-reference value, and List, which may misunderstand the rules of AppSheet Expression for new App Creator.
This is because it is difficult for new App Creators to understand the notation Table[Column] at first.

Once Insert and Insert as list are added to all tables and columns, the following UX improvements can be expected.

• It will be easier for new Creators to understand the difference between Value, De-reference value and List.
  • Value can be used when entering a Where clause when Selecting a destination table (I use this a lot)
  • Easier to use a list of one’s own tables (the notation MyTable[MyColumn] is also often used)

The Insert as De-reference menu looks like this.

This is just my opinion, but I hope you find it useful.

One more thing
Insert a slice list would be a great addition. However, it might be a little too complicated.

4 Likes

:100:

2 Likes

Hi @benhare

I often forget the column names in UserSetting, so I thought it would be useful to be able to trace them from DataExplorer.

Also, if we select Insert from UserSettings, it would be useful if it is added in UserSettings Expression.

e.g.
USERSETTINGS("Country Option")

5 Likes

Hello, so I released fixes for these two small issues you pointed out today (the insert as list issues), let me know if you see any more strangeness with how that button behaves. Thanks again for pointing those out!

3 Likes

@benhare

Thank you for letting me know individually as well.
I can confirm that both have been modified in my environment.
I think I will be using DataExplorer more often to create Expressions.:hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @benhare

When using DataExplorer with a table that has Ref items referring to the same table, the intended dereference value will not be inserted.

The following is a case where the same Employee table is referenced, and even if from Employee is selected, the dereference will insert the value of to Employee.

2022-01-13_07h33_06

I’m sorry for always pointing out trivial things.
I hope you understand that I am a fan of DataExplorer.:hugs:

3 Likes

Oh don’t be sorry I’m glad to see it used and get your help pointing out things to fix! I’ll make a bug for that and see when I can get to it.

Glad to hear you’re still a fan of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, i m another a fan of this feature, and also a prayer hoping it gets better (less buggy) and richer functionalities.

In case we click (select) REF or LIST (Reverse ref) column , we obsearve link link (between two table) is not correctly drawn. The line should indicate visually two tables are connected. Hope this error also corrected soon.

At the same time, it would be useful (i remember i mentioned before in other thread) that once we select Reverse REF column, then the child table is lighlighted (it behaive so now i believe). Then we have two option 1) add just colunn name from child table or 2) insert as list which returns [Reverse REf][Selected Child] – yielding the expression for deref list.

Thank you.

@Takuya_Miyai

3 Likes

@benhare

Sometimes we may see unwanted lines regarding such refs.
Is it lightning in Dataexplorer?:smile:

2022-01-13_11-17-28

@tsuji_koichi

2 Likes

I noticed that when clicking “insert” on a column, the data explorer tries to “smartly” add additional stuff to the inserted expression, like table names, or dereferences off of a Ref column.

I don’t like this. I’d prefer that just the plain column name, in square brackets, was inserted into the expression.

3 Likes

:100: