New feature: hide existing rows --- for public apps that collect data

In some apps (like public apps that are used to collect data from anonymous users), you may want to capture new data (i.e. allow Adds) but not show any existing data. There is now a convenient ‘Hide Existing Rows’ option to set this up. You can find this option in the Security section of the Table definition (Data > Tables tab). If you enable this option for a table, none of the existing rows are read.

0 6 426
6 Comments
Mike_A
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Interesting…

Does this mean existing rows are not accessible at all to the app, and does this have any effect on sync speed?

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Mike
As Security Filters are applied on the server side rather than the client side, the filtered data will not be accessible from the app and depending on the structure of your app, it might surely decrease your sync time.

Aleksi
Staff

@Mike The affect is the same if you write as “FALSE” into your security filter. For example you want to make a survey, but it may contains sensitive data and you want to be sure that others won’t see that data.

Mike_A
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

ah… I was hoping for a sync speed “decrease”.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Mike
It’s totally my mis-typing, do apologize! It will/can decrease your sync time depending on your app’s structure. Corrected my initial post also in this way. Sorry to misdirect.

Mike_A
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Ah… thats i would have thought. May consider cases where this can improve sync speed as well…