NFC! Hi Folks, I am testing some NFC stickl...

NFC!

Hi Folks,

I am testing some NFC sticklers and key-fobs etc. All is well, in that I can write a text code on the NFC Tags, and I can get Appsheet to read that, and populate various fields from a table of information based on the text it reads from the Tag.

All well and good, and all on Android!

Any way to get this to work on iPhones? I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 11โ€ฆ I can pay in a shop with my phone, so it must be using NFC? But can I get Appsheet to work through it?

Ideas anyone?

Thanks GG

0 23 645
23 REPLIES 23

Check your app permissions to make sure NFC is approvedโ€ฆ I donโ€™t think appsheet used to ask for that permission on install. So if the app was installed prior to the NFC feature I found that I had to manually set the permission. @Gil_Littman_AppSheet

@Grant_Stead In my iPhone settings it hasnโ€™t got the option to change permissionsโ€ฆat least I canโ€™t find it.

Is there something in Appsheet to change those permissions?

Definitely upgrading to Android next upgrade day!

Ok, and what happen when you press the NFC button?

When I move the phone over the tags (which work with my other phone, Android), nothing happensโ€ฆ

I am wondering, however, if itโ€™s something elseโ€ฆ what is that stuff about NDEF? I saw one video saying that if the NDEF record wasnโ€™t encoded,the iPhone wouldnโ€™t read itโ€ฆ Have I got an NDEF that isnโ€™t encoded, even though I wrote some text to the NFC Tag?

@Gil_Littman_AppSheet Nothing happensโ€ฆ On the Android, I get the notification saying โ€œHold phone over NFC Tagโ€ or something like that. On the iPhone, nothingโ€ฆ

โ€ฆwell, not quite nothingโ€ฆ the column header moves up as if to accommodate the data that the reader is supposed to be reading, but other than that, nothing.

So it seems like NFC is only supported from iPhone 7. I actually wasnโ€™t aware of that and I will update our docs. So if your users will open your app with a supported device (iOS 11+ iPhone 7 or above) the NFC button will pop up a scan NFC dialog, and the scan will work like in Android.

@Gil_Littman_AppSheet Thank you. Like I said earlier, it was an issue with some people saying it should work, others saying notโ€ฆ

At least now I know.

Thanks

GG

@Green_Gorilla GOOD to know, thanks for posting!

It just means that we will have to inform potential customers of our Apps that their users should have Android, or a newer iPhoneโ€ฆ

Weโ€™ll sort it.

@Gil_Littman_AppSheet This is a great reason to be able to to make the scanable fields conditional. Then the user could identify in the usersettings their โ€œscan preferencesโ€ or even when eventually we get the ability to read the device/os info. (Also good to be conditional so we can say, you have to use the scan, or not.)

@Grant_Stead it is somewhat conditional already, the NFC button will not show if youโ€™re opening the app in a browser or in iOS < 11. Youโ€™re right that the app creator currently donโ€™t have a way to know this and show different behavior for non supported users.

@Gil_Littman_AppSheet Youโ€™re awesome!

The last I heard, Apple locks down NFC on iPhones so that it can ONLY be used for Apple Pay.

Thanks!

Is it supported on iPod touch?

iPods donโ€™t support NFC as far as I know.

@Julie_Wills Yes, I thought that. But then we have some people saying you can use NFC with iOS 11, and others sayiong you canโ€™t. Some say you need another app that works with it and allows it to be used on iPhones.

Our issue is that we would love to incorporate NFC technology into our Apps, but with 1/2 the customers using iPhones, we canโ€™t really push itโ€ฆ

A quick Google found me this, amongst other things

@Green_Gorilla

It seems iOS 12 may open things up a bit. nfc.today - Apple iPhone X NFC | NFC.Today Apple iPhone X NFC | NFC.Today nfc.today

@Julie_Wills Indeed. We are waiting with baited breath to see if this is what will crack it for us.

We have read so many pages of info about this, and itโ€™s the fact that some say you can, some say you canโ€™t thing that is confusing. Itโ€™s clear my iPhone has NFC because I can use Apple Pay, but whenever I try apps that profess to allow me to read NFC Tags, it tells m I don;t have the hardware for the job!

Thanks

@Green_Gorilla I would go for it. I enable the NFC and barcode scanning and allow drop down selection. This way youโ€™re about fail proof. All of those are always ENUM basetype REF so that the user gets a visual confirmation. (I view these as tools to make searching faster and more accurate. Not to be confused with an odd version of permissions. Example, I would never lock it down so if you didnโ€™t have the key you canโ€™t get inโ€ฆ)

On my ID cards I print the data Matrix and encode the RFID with the same UNIQUEID. Also, stickers are done the same wayโ€ฆ

Then the user gets choice

@Green_Gorilla NFC should work on iOS 11 devices the same way it works on Android (prior to 11 NFC was locked only for things like Apple pay). When you open your app on an iOS device do you see the NFC icon?

I see this:

Top Labels in this Space