No response from user invited to share the ap...

No response from user invited to share the app: what does that mean?

I have shared the app with a user email. The user email appears in the Approved Users Whitelist, but there is a no response comment next to their email:

APPROVED USERS WHITELIST (1 INVITED AND 0 RESPONDED)

"_______@gmail.com" (no response)

Send reminder!

No idea what that means; I manage the user account for now, didnโ€™t see anything other than the invitation to edit the Google spreadsheet, which I had already done on the backend (and which I believe Google had sent, not the app).

Everything works on the user device: I have dowloaded the AppSheet app from the Appstore, logged into the app (well, ok, thereโ€™s a glitch here, where I have to log in first as the editor, log out, and only then can the user log in; Iโ€™ve reported this separately), and have been using with no problems.

So what kind of response is the system exactly waiting for? Sending a reminder as prompted does exactly nothing.

??

0 7 758
7 REPLIES 7

I think currently it just means that they have an appsheet account, but most users wonโ€™t even have an actual appsheet accountโ€ฆ So they will show up as not responded even though they are using the appโ€ฆ @praveen

@Grant_Stead I see that Praveen posted about this a few days ago. Praveen, do users really need to have an AppSheet account?

+Charlie Wells letโ€™s say you have invited joe22@gmail.com to your app which requires signin. That email is on the user whitelist. That user would have received an email asking them to use the app.

However, in order to use the app, they would first have had to signin with that email account. So AppSheet would certainly have a record of that. If on the other hand joe22@gmail.com has never ever signed into AppSheet, then we indicate that to you.

I suspect the problem is something to do with what you said above โ€” โ€œI have to sign in first as the editor โ€ฆโ€. That sounds problematic. Youโ€™d only need to sign in on a devcie as the user.

@praveen thanks Praveen. Once I go through the sign-in dance everything works fine. I have been able to sign in as the user, assuming Iโ€™ve signed in and then signed out first as me on the device. I donโ€™t intend for the user to be an editor of the app; they just need to be allowed to edit the backend, which Iโ€™ve done and itโ€™s been working fine. So I suppose that means that AppSheet knows the user.

Why the extra step is necessary is a mystery to me.

Can I uninvite the user account and then reinvite them, see if that clears the deck?

A few clarifications:

a) users of your app donโ€™t need and usually shouldnโ€™t have access to your backend spreadsheet. They only need access to your app and they can edit the data via the app. In your appโ€™s security pane in the editor, go to the Security filter tab and make sure ech table is marked as access โ€˜as app creatorโ€™ and not โ€˜as app userโ€™ b) your users should be able to sign in and use the app. it should never need anything like your first signing in and then signing out. My suspicion is that you arenโ€™t actually signing out and that is why the user never registers as signing in. In the editor, go to Users -> Links and find the browser link to start the app. It should look like https://www.appsheet.com/start/โ€ฆ

Copy that. In a fresh browser window, first sign out of AppSheet by opening https://www.appsheet.com/account/logoff . Then open the app via that copied url. It should prompt you for a signin. Try to sign in as the user you invited. If that fails, there is a problem that should be resolved.

Most likely the userโ€™s email is not accurately in the whitelist or the authentication provider doesnโ€™t match up or something like that.

@praveen thanks, Iโ€™ll give that a try. When I log out on the device I do that through the app Log Out option.

All my tables are indeed marked with App Creator access only. So is it the case then that Appsheet accesses them as app creator even when theyโ€™re being edited by users logged in as users via the app? Or something like that? Thatโ€™s really nice, since that would prevent users from signing in on the backend and sneakily editing the data.

@praveen I logged off the browser and logged back in using the browser link, that didnโ€™t help.

I ended up deleting the user account and inviting them back in, which fixed the problem. I can now sign in as that user on either user iPad and I can see the app.

Whew!

Top Labels in this Space