Non syncing tables

I am using values in a table to control the users view of the data and an associated chart. I think this is pretty common practise for making data selections. My question is this: is it possible to have such a table marked for non-syncing ? The data that is contained in the table is merely a range of values for displaying purposes within the app itself. I have no interest in syncing the values back to my data source yet this overhead is incurred every time the user selects a different range of values to look at. Or is there an alternative approach I should be using ?
Many thanks
Anton

1 6 503
6 REPLIES 6

Have you thought to Usersettings where your selections are device specific.

I have thought about using user settings but donโ€™t these get synced as well ?

• Meaning

When the user changes an option in the User Settings, this requires the app to make a connection to the backend and sync the data.

• Likely Cause

A change to an option in User Settings may lead to unexpected behavior if the app is offline

I would have thought having an offline, local table facility would be extremely useful

Anton

Yes thatโ€™s true that when you change the Usersetting, it will try to syc the app. But if there is no need to change those valuesโ€ฆ like they are fixed read_only data, you would not need to sync the app.

But I would want to change them - thatโ€™s the point

eg. in my app I display readings from a set of data and display a graph. The user wants to be able to choose both the data set (1 to ๐Ÿ˜Ž and a time range (0 - 500 seconds)

currently it works well with the readings sliced by data range and time range so these values change as the user selects them using buttons and sliders. but of course every time they change the display settings it needs to sync the table - which I want to avoid. Iโ€™m not sure how using usersettings will help

Gotcha. You could create a users table where all users would have their own settings. Then you should not need to sync the data with offline.

I shouldnโ€™t need to sync the data but I still donโ€™t have a way of preventing it.

In my app if someone looks at each dataset on the graph and for each one choses 2 or 3 different time slices to analyse thatโ€™s 16-24 unnecessary data changes which have to be synced back

Kind regards

Anton

Top Labels in this Space