Now that we have Lines & Polygons..... I hav...

Now that we have Lines & Polygons…

I have a table with about 300 rows. Each row has its own kml that displays a single line feature. How might I go about displaying each row’s individual KML?

In other words, I do not want to see one map displaying each of the 300 lines. I would rather each line be displayed on a separate map view. Much like the display of an address or lat long column.

@praveen @Peter

1 5 1,019
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Michael, first, we don’t really have lines or polygons like a GIS does. We just have the ability to define a (single) KML file associated with a geographic-type column. So it is useful for things like showing a KML overlay for a map view.

That said, the rest of your question is still relevant — how do you show a view that has 300 maps, each showing a single pin for a single row, instead of a single map with 300 pins on it.

We have something coming soon that will let you “group” any view and show one display for each group. So for example, if the 300 rows were grouped by state, you’d get one map display for each state with all the pins from that state shown on it. @Morgan_Dixon_AppShee FYI

@praveen I understand that AppSheet doesn’t actually process the lines and polygons but rather displays the kml where those features are defined.

“We just have the ability to define a (single) KML file associated with a geographic-type column…”

The idea I have is similar to what is used for displaying LatLong columns from detail views. When LatLong columns are displayed from within a detail view, a small map image is displayed. Clicking this map image takes the user to a system generated map view displaying the latlong point.

Could not the same method be used for displaying the KML defined for that row?

I’m not sure how this new grouping feature would be useful for this purpose. I would like to avoid displaying multiple lines in the same view.

I see. In order to do what you’re saying, we should be able to pick up the KML from a column and show it on the map. In other words, we’ll need a KML column type. Unfortunately, we don’t have that now. It is doable, but the KML support we have at the moment is actually just a refinement at the level of the LatLong and Address column type definition. In otherwords, at the moment, you can specify a single KML for all values in a column, not a separate KML for each row.

@praveen Rather than creating another column, could the address or latlong columns be made to interpret an kml link much the same way address and coordinates are interpreted now? Obviously I have very limited knowledge of the work that would be required to make this an option or the creation of another column type but, at a glance, this seems to be the easiest option.

To clarify the suggestion — you want to put a link to a KML file in an Address or LatLong column. And then it would be shown as a polygon rather than as a point. Is that right?

I guess we could do that, but it would mess up a lot of things. For example, expressions involving LatLongs would no longer work, etc. So if we are to do this, it’s better that we add a separate column type.

Top Labels in this Space