Offline Google Maps

Google Maps has a feature where you can download an area of maps for offline use. I realize that Google Maps doesn’t offer offline for third party apps. But now that AppSheet is part of Google will we be seeing offline use of Google Maps within our apps?

Regards
Bob

Status Open
6 4 225
4 Comments

Is this still being considered? With spotty cell service in some areas where we are using a field inspection application, this would be icing on the cake. Always running into a bit of problems when the satellite imagery doesn’t update because of poor connection.

Fof_Webmaster

I’ve had no reply on this. See this outdated reference in the section Maps offline use.

It says that Google won’t allow 3rd parties to use Google Map’s offline capability. Since AppSheet is part of Google Cloud platform one would hope that this gets added to the roadmap. It is a major problem for my US Forest Service users to not have offline map visibility, current location marker, or navigation. At least some of these issues should be addressed.

In the 4 years of deploying AppSheet I have found that offline use development often gets neglected. Strange because this is a major differentiator for AppSheet vs for instance MS Power apps.

Bob

Bob

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jonathon_Prevos
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

This feature is extremely important to some of the apps we are building as they are mostly used in areas without cellular service. Being able to access the offline maps saved to the local device would be a game changer for us.