Okay, one more for tonight: I can't, for the ...

Okay, one more for tonight: I can’t, for the life of me, get “Interactive Mode” for a Dashboard to work.

When I select a row in my table view, instead of changing my chart view, it just does… nothing.

Setup:

• A chart view connected to a slice, filtered for an individual user’s weigh-ins. - A table view with one row for each user. - A dashboard with each of the above, with “Interactive Mode” enabled.

I also have an extra Table in my Google Sheet based on an example I’ve seen posted here that changes a chart view when the user clicks a button to change an enum. For what it’s worth, that example doesn’t have “Interactive Mode” enabled, anyway; I’ll link it here.

I have tried linking the slice above to that extra, 1-row table, and tried linking it to just to all the weigh-ins instead of a table of users. I have tried using my table of all weigh-ins as the users table instead of the table with each user. I get the same result always: no interactive chart.

Is there an example app that actually uses “Interactive Mode”?

0 5 377
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

tony1
Participant V

@Evan_Manrow I’m not following the exact details of your app, but maybe you could update your slice’s filter condition formula to have the default behavior that you want?

The trick is on having your references lined out. You would need a table of users, and then say a table of weigh ins, with the user ref’d…

Then if you have an interview dashboard with a table of users, and the chart view… Then as you select users… The chart skills adjust. Are your takes referenced?

Progress! Okay, so I ref’ed all my other columns to an “Entrants” column with each entrant having one row; it probably should have been that way to begin with.

Now I made an Entrants table view (I was using a derivative “Overview” table before with a bunch of virtual columns), and set up my dashboard with views:

Entrants Table View Chart

If I use a slice for the chart, clicking anyone but the default slice filter shows ‘no data available’ on the chart.

If I use the entire weights dataset, clicking anyone does change the chart to show just their weights. However, the default chart (before I click anyone) is a hot mess of all the weights mixed in together. Is there anyway to default that to the first (or any) person on the list?

Not that I know of… Maybe someone else knows @Sarah_Gould_AppSheet

Yeah sorry @tony, I know it’s kind of a mess because I keep working on it lol. I’m not even using the slice in the dashboard now- just all of the weigh-in data. It seems like you can either use the slice with a quick-update detail view and a placeholder spreadsheet/table, or you can use interactive mode on a dashboard, but not both.

Interactive mode it far an away better, because it doesn’t require a sync every time someone changes the chart they’re looking at. But you are right that I was able to set the default behavior when I was using the “slice based on user input” a la the linked example from my original comment, because I could just set the cell of the placeholder table to have a default value.

Top Labels in this Space