On-premesis Database Connection

Nilson_Cain
Participant III

According to this page: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2213968-connecting-to-an-on-premises-database we can connect to an on-premises database without the need for DreamFactory.

Where is the option to do so? I can only find DreamFactory setup into under the option for On-premises Database in my account settings.

Thanks

0 10 2,020
10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Participant V

I suspect you want to choose Cloud Database.

Nilson_Cain
Participant III

The database in question is hosted on our own site, not in the cloud. The article says that itโ€™s supported to connect to such a database. Weโ€™re likely going to go with another option and put the data into a cloud database, but it would be more convenient to have the option available to connect to something we host ourselves.

Hi Nilson,

There are two methods to connect AppSheet to your on-prem database. The easiest and most common is to enable public access to your database and whitelist the AppSheet IP addresses. Alternatively, AppSheet also supports connection via DreamFactory. Most users generally go with the first method as it is easier to setup and avoids the additional cost from DreamFactory.

To allow AppSheet to connect directly to your on-prem database, youโ€™ll need the following:

1. The server will need a stable IP address. This will be the endpoint for the connection. If the db is configured to listen on a non-default port, then youโ€™ll need to include the port number in the IP address. To do this, just append a colon after the IP address, and then the port number. For example, it the port number is 8000, the format would be xx.xx.xx.xx:8000

2. Generally, the database will have a firewall that prevents outside connections. To enable AppSheet to connect, you need to open up the databaseโ€™s firewall to AppSheet serversโ€™ IP addresses. A list of AppSheetโ€™s IP address is available here.

3. Provide a user account through which AppSheet can access the database. For security, we recommend creating a dedicated user account that is used only by AppSheet.

With that information, youโ€™ll be ready to establish the connection. This is done under My Account > Sources > + Data Sources. It is a bit of a misnomer here, but youโ€™ll want to select โ€œCloud Databaseโ€. The "On-Premises Databaseโ€ option is designed for connecting through DreamFactory.

After selecting โ€œCloud Databaseโ€, youโ€™ll be prompted to enter the info you gathered in steps 1 - 3 above. After establishing the connection, your on-prem database will be accessible from all your Apps.

I appreciate your help thanks

Hi Can you elaborate little more on point no 2
I have my data on amazon aws rds server exactly where this IP need to be inserted,
I am able to connect my data to post bird and PG admin but not appsheet,
so far I have added this Ids mentioned above in my systemโ€™s firewall list.
pls pls help me out!
thanks in advance

Derek - any ideas on the error Iโ€™m seeing here:

@Matthew_Brown ,

Please choose Cloud Database instead OM On-Pemises Database.

R,
Scott

Can you make a video on this please . the is too complicated to do and I checked on Youtube but nothing is available on this topic. Thanks!

Nilson_Cain
Participant III

OK, I appreciate the help, guys

Finally I figured it out how to connect appsheet with postgres cloud data on amazon

Using Data from MySQL | AppSheet Help Center
point 2 in above mentioned solution I was not able to get than I realized that it is pretty clear that we have to add all the IP addresses mentioned in the article in amazon cloud server security group, select default security grp and edit inbound rule.

add all the IP addresses mentioned above than you will be able to connect

and finally click on

you have to copy and paste addresses one by one in the empty space shown
Amazing I have created my first sql database app on appsheet
thank you all !

Top Labels in this Space