Performance improvement tips

data
(Kirk Masden) #1

I was searching the archive for information about the “Worksheet bulk read” option for syncing data and came across these tips from Simon Robinson which sound very useful to me. However, I have some questions about them that I’d like to post below:

URL: Hi What is best practice in terms of workshe...

Tip 1 = The key thing to note first is Google Sheets will limit you to 2million cells per spreadsheet.
So if you’re gonna go over that, then definitely look at having more than 1 spreadsheet file.
But if that’s not going to happen then definitely keep all tables in one sheet as Appsheet can read them faster

Tip 2 = Don’t use virtual formulas if you can avoid them.
Especially where they have to be recalculated on every sync for tables with a large number of rows (>500)

This intrigues me. I think I can cut down on some of my virtual formulas by putting formulas in columns in my Google spreadsheet that do the same work. This will make my spreadsheet bigger, but will that make syncing faster? I imagined that virtual formulas would make my app more efficient but I guess I was wrong about that.

Tip 3 = Make use of security filters to reduce the number of rows that have to be synced

I have never used a security filter before so this is completely new to me. If I right-click on a column on Google sheets I see “Protect range.” Is that what I should use? Will doing so with read only columns make a difference? Is there anything to watch out for in using “Protect range” if I will be the only user of my app? For example, if I use a security filter on a prototype app that I will share with students, will the filter cause problems in the copying process?

Tip 4 = Mark any relevant tables as read-only and turn on Server Caching

Tip 5 = Also turn on Worksheet bulk read, Delta sync and Automatic Updates

Currently, if I choose “Worksheet bulk read” it says “The Bulk Read setting is enabled by default for all apps.” Does that mean it doesn’t matter whether or not I select this?

Tip 6 = Use the sync time analyser to check for any hold-ups

By the way, I have recently responded to an old thread that is also related to performance but I don’t think anyone noticed. The thread is about background syncing. “Background syncing” is confusing because it can mean the syncing of data that the app does, while in use, in the background. I’m interested in another kind of background syncing: the continuation of syncing activity by the app when the app itself has be put into the background (the person is using another app on the phone). That strikes me as being very important (people are not forced to sit and wait) but I haven’t been able to get it to work on iOS. It does seem to work on my Android device (a Huawei phone). Any comments?

URL: Background syncing

2 Likes

Hi @Kirk_Masden With regard to #3 Check out this link

1 Like
(Kirk Masden) #3

Thanks @Lynn! This is good information for me. I should have know that I should search for “security filter” in this user group. In addition to the page you introduced to me, I found this video in which Santiago provides a clear demonstration from about 40 minutes in:

1 Like