Phantom SMS messages I recently (yesterday) ...

Phantom SMS messages

I recently (yesterday) began implementing SMS workflow messages. At the moment, I have three app users set to receive SMS messages from one of my apps. I am not one of those users but, I did use my phone number while testing the feature setup yesterday.

This morning my phone number received 3 SMS messages from the AppSheet number consisting of โ€˜Test Message.โ€™ The current message that my app is configured to send is not โ€˜Test Messageโ€™. There is no record of this message in the Audit Log of my app. No record of the workflow rule being triggered today.

Is it a safe assumption that AppSheet staff are testing the SMS features? How then is it that my phone number was sent a message and not my app users? Is this some sort of bug?

I did realize while testing yesterday that the workflow rule that fires the message seems to run from the device. I initially thought the workflow rules ran on the AppSheet servers. This fact could be the cause of the phantom message, maybe?..

My app is not set to sync on start. It is possible that a user with a stale app version triggered a previous workflow which sent the messages. It doesnโ€™t quite explain it as there were three messages sent near simultaneously and no record of the workflow being triggered but, either that or AppSheet testing is the best explanation I can come up with.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

0 9 356
9 REPLIES 9

@Michael

Are you sure you are looking at app โ€œVegMgmt3-285473-348865-285473โ€?

The workflow rules is still there and the Audit History shows the following. My Audit History may go back further than yours.

Looking for a specific app? - AppSheet appsheet.com

@Michael

The SMS messages are coming out of your application โ€œVegMgmt3-285473-348865-285473โ€ from workflow rule โ€œNew Workflow Ruleโ€.

You can see the workflow rules being invoked by checking the Audit History and looking for invocation of rule โ€œNew Workflow Ruleโ€ at approximately the following GMT times:

2018-09-26 11:38:50 UTC 2018-09-26 11:33:14 UTC 2018-09-26 11:33:10 UTC

2018-09-28 16:00:18 UTC 2018-09-28 16:00:15 UTC 2018-09-28 16:00:12 UTC 2018-09-28 16:00:09 UTC

@Michael

I can investigate if you provide 1. Your account id 2. Your app name 3. The workflow rule name

Workflow rules only run on the server.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

285473 StructureInspections

Two workflows are set to send SMS messages: Alert SMS & Veg Alert SMS

The reason I assumed that the workflows were being processed on the device is, I noticed if I made a change to the workflow (the message to be sent) but didnโ€™t ensure that the app had first synced before triggering the workflow, the message sent was the message prior to the change I had just made.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh FYI Just received 4 more phantom messages

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh I certainly do not dispute your findings Phil however, there are no workflows reflected in the editor named โ€œNew Workflow Ruleโ€. I am fairly certain the no such rule existed at the time the messages were sent either.

I also cannot verify your findings in the audit log at this point as the log on my end doesnโ€™t go back that far.

Is it possible that when I was in the process of creating the workflow, I may have deleted it which is accurately reflected in the editor but somehow it still exists on the server?

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Please accept my sincerest apology for having wasted your time. I did not realize I had created that workflow in that app. I must have had multiple apps open in the editor and not realized which app I was editing.

That said, would you please edit or remove your comment prior to this one as it has my personal phone number shown.

@Michael

No problem Michael. I deleted the data. Sorry about that!

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Thanks again Sir. To you and the rest of the awesome AppSheet team! I really appreciate you all and this wonderful platform.

Top Labels in this Space