Please, help! Mathematical operations on data types DURATION

For over a month now, I have not been able to achieve the correct multiplication of time by a number. All found solutions, including this one, do not work correctly. Please tell me a way to multiply the DURATION by a number. Why aren’t the developers adding this feature? This has been working in Google Sheets for a long time.
I have the duration of the operations, for example: “00:03:54” or “00:00:47” or “01:43:22”. And I need to multiply this duration by the number of repetitions of the operation to get the total duration. For example, “00:00:46 * 24 = 00:18:24”.

1. Convert duration to total number of seconds.
  2. Multiple #1 result by your multiplier.
  3. Convert #2 result back to duration type.

1,2:

TOTALSECONDS([duration]) * X

3:

RIGHT( "00" & FLOOR( [#2] / 60.0 / 60.0 ) , 3 )
& ":" &
RIGHT( "0" & MOD( [#2] / 60.0 , 60.0 ) , 2 )
& ":" &
RIGHT( "0" & MOD( [#2] , 60 ) , 2 )

Which seems to be almost an identical post (except for the use of TOTALSECONDS(), which I think is newer), to what Steve wrote in the thread you linked.

Probably because very few people would need such a feature, and it is easy to accomplish otherwise.

How so?

3 Likes

I’ve tried it all before. Using your version of this option, I get incorrect results:
“00:00:47 * 99 = 1:67:13” or “00:00:47 * 97 = 1:71:40” or “00:01:08 * 1 = 0:33:08”

Seems to work for me.

2 Likes

I, too, during the test, everything is fine, but an incorrect value is written in the field.

Again, seems to work fine for me (with a x2 factor):

Perhaps try to ensure that your entire spreadsheet is formatted as Plain Text. Maybe the spreadsheet is trying to auto-convert/auto-format the value a certain way, like as a date or something?

3 Likes