Post data from webcall JSON string

Hey all,

I’m wanting to get data from openweathermap api or similar web services and use a webhook / Appsheets api to record the weather based upon user input timestamps and lat/long.

Openweathermap makes this easy, and returns a variety of formats (json, etc) based upon a preformatted HTML string. For example:

https://samples.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?lat=35&lon=139&appid=b6907d289e10d714a6e88b30761...

Is it possible to retrieve/read this json string in appsheet natively? Do I need to lean on an external service (Zapier) to perform this integration? I would like to avoid that if possible.

Solved Solved
1 12 1,389
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@teambelair

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@Jonathon
It requires an HTTP GET process, which is currently not active but I know that it’s @Phil’s pipeline. When HTTP GET is activated you can read data from external REST API sources via webhook workflow.

Thats good news. @Phil would you be able to give an indication on the timeline of such a feature?

@LeventK in the meantime, I understand I could use the zapier service to achieve my goals? Would the following flow be possible:

1. A record is added to a table via AppSheet
  2. Appsheet workflow sends a webhook to Zapier with the record id
  3. Zapier recieves webhook, performs HTTP GET to openweathermap
  4. Zapier does HTTP POST of weather data to the appsheet record

Cheers,
Jon

@Jonathon
I’m not aware how openweathermap API works. I will check their REST API doc and get back to you under this post.

We aspire to do it, but there is no schedule for it at this time.

Hi @Phil
Any update on the HTTP GET process?

Nothing is scheduled at this time.

@Jonathon Were you able to implement the 4 steps you listed above?

Hey Alex - yes, I have used Zapier to connect openweathermap to a few of my applications.

@Jonathon : Cool. Could you tell me the a high level description on how you configured it? Is that a Zapier Webhook?

I’m interested to request Trivia question from Open Trivia DB: Free to use, user-contributed trivia question database.

Just saw your post Hello , I would like to use the OpenWeatherMA... - #8 by David_Joyce that states it is a Webhook and $25/month.
I don’t have that budget so I’ll have to find an alternative. Thanks.

You could look into integromat - some users here use it for similar purposes, and I believe it is cheaper than Zapier. I am not personally familiar with integromat, however.

It would also be possible to build your own webhook catch with Google Script, although that would be a more hands-on approach.

@teambelair

Top Labels in this Space