Preserving line breaks on external report templates from LongText fields

I consulted related threads and spent significant time on this, but am still stuck. I have a table named Reports with a field ExtraNotes (type LongText). Users of my app can edit this field and the text they enter will include line breaks. I have a Google Docs report template that uses this field, with the template assigned to both Body and Attachment (PDF) in a workflow action. When I simply embed the field like this in the templateโ€ฆ

<<[ExtraNotes]>>

โ€ฆthe PDF contains the line breaks as desired, but the email body does not and the text just appears as a continuous line/paragraph. (Tested in Hotmail client, O365 web client, and Outlook client.)

As a workaround, I added a virtual column ExtraNotesList (type List) that gets its value via SPLIT on the original field. In the report template, I then use 100+ lines likeโ€ฆ

<<If:COUNT([ExtraNotesList]) >= 1>>โ”‚ <<INDEX([ExtraNotesList], 1)>><>
<<If:COUNT([ExtraNotesList]) >= 2>>โ”‚ <<INDEX([ExtraNotesList], 2)>><>
โ€ฆ
<<If:COUNT([ExtraNotesList]) >= 150>>โ”‚ <<INDEX([ExtraNotesList], 150)>><>

This workaround works โ€ฆ but itโ€™s ugly, I have to extend it periodically when users complain their text is cutting off, and thereโ€™s human error in those updates to copy/paste new lines and adjust line numbers.

Is there a better way?

Thank you.

Here are the related threads I consulted:

0 1 310
1 REPLY 1

Bumping this in hopes of a breakthrough from someone.

Top Labels in this Space