Pull Field from Most Recent Related Record

Hello Appsheet Community,

I have table caseload builder which has a one to many relationship with table site notes. I am creating a virtual column in the caseload builder. Site notes has two relevant columns: noteDate and schedStatus. noteDate is a date&time field and schedStatus is just a text.

My goal is to haee the virtual column pull the value of schedStatus from the related site notes with the highest (most recent as they canโ€™t put one in the future) noteDate. Iโ€™ve tried constructing the below but it doesnโ€™t quite work. If there are multiple site notes it wonโ€™t pull the right sched status.

SELECT([Related siteNotes][schedStatus],
([Related siteNotes][noteDate]=LIST(MAX([Related siteNotes][noteDate])))
)

Any guidance here would be much appreciated! Thank you!

• Andrew
Solved Solved
0 4 220
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I figured out a solution. Although inefficient.

I created another virtual column called Max Note Date that just pulls the max note date from related site notes. Then the following formula seems to be working!

SELECT(siteNotes[schedStatus],
AND(
[noteDate]=[_THISROW].[Max Note Date],
([siteID]=[_THISROW].[UID])
)
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Iโ€™m guessing you got an editor error that said โ€˜can not compare list with date/valueโ€™, so you added LIST() around the MAX(). You were close, but the modification should have been done on the other side of the equality.

You need a date on both sides, not a list. [Related siteNotes][noteDate] is a list.

See if this works:

([noteDate]=MAX([_THISROW].[Related siteNotes][noteDate]))
)

You might have to replace the MAX() input with another SELECT(). If that doesnโ€™t work, post a screenshot of your column names and expression.

Thank you! That did not fully work. Putting _THISROW in the expression was giving me an error. I tried the following:

AND(
([noteDate]=MAX([Related siteNotes][noteDate])),
))

This doesnโ€™t return an error but it returns every schedStatus in a list that is related to the siteID.

I think I figured out a solution. Although inefficient.

I created another virtual column called Max Note Date that just pulls the max note date from related site notes. Then the following formula seems to be working!

AND(
[noteDate]=[_THISROW].[Max Note Date],
)
)

Glad you got it working. If you need to look anything else up from that row, it might be better to make the virtual column a direct reference to the row. Then you can dereference through that virtual column for any other values that you need.

Top Labels in this Space