Question about Actions: can I have an Action ...

Question about Actions: can I have an Action invoke an app that’s not an AppSheet app? I don’t see that option in the Effects list in Actions. I’d like to launch a Point of Sale app that handles credit cards if a user would like to pay by cc, and ideally I would specify the name of that app in that field.

The closest option I can imagine using is ‘External: open a file’, but I don’t know what the path to that PoS app would be on the device we’ll be using (not available on iOS devices anyway, I don’t think).

There’s also ‘External: go to a website’, but that’s not what I need.

0 5 397
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Charlie, While there’s no Action to open other apps, some apps can be opened from urls, for example clicking on this link:

tg://msg?text=Mi_mensaje&to=+1555999 Will open the Telegram app (if installed on the user’s device) with some pre filled number and text. To achieve this behavior, check with the 3rd party app, if they support those kind of links, and if so, just put it in a url type field. Is the app you’re trying to open is Square?

@Gil_Littman_AppSheet thanks! Yes, it’s Square; do you know offhand if they support this?

It’s a bit more complicated with Square, but still doable: You’ll need to have different urls for Android and iOS users (You may want to add user settings for that). You can read more about the Square urls in Square docs: docs.connect.squareup.com - Using the Web API for iOS https://docs.connect.squareup.com/articles/web-api-android Using the Web API for iOS docs.connect.squareup.com

Thanks Gil! I’ll take a look. We’ll only be on iOS, so only one platform to worry about. Whew.

You’re welcome!

Top Labels in this Space