Question : multi-interactions with dashboard

Aurelien
Participant V

Hi all,

I’m wondering if it is possible to use selections on galery views that have an impact on the same data set, but not directly related.
Here a GIF to explain what I’m trying to achieve:
3X_d_9_d99da8f2ef25d2053afceef16621efe73d1266f8.gif

As you can see:

• if I click on an item from Agences (“agency”)==> the chart moves.
  • if I click on an item from Mois réalisés (“month with entries”) ==> the chart moves.
    But, I would like an interaction between both Agences and Mois réalisés.
    This way, the galeries would display the strict necessary.

Is there a way to do that ? Is it possible ?
Many thanks

0 9 279
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

This may or may not be feasible, but the requirements could be clearer if you mention below

You may wish to share more details, if possible on if you are using the new charts engine or the older one, are Agences and Mois réalisés coming from the same table, is it some kind of user settings table and associated filter expressions. Also you have mentioned Gallery views, do you mean Dashboard by any chance?

Hi @Suvrutt_Gurjar

You are right, I forgot to give enough information for context.

The chart in the GIF is the new chart engine, but in my case this does not matter : basically it’s just a chart based on a table with mainly durations.
The app purpose is to track employee time, then to provide KPI based on the time they spent.
People work on projects, that are related to agencies, businesses, market types, and so on.

To do so, there are:

1. Various tables :
  • Hours ==> Main Table
  • Agencies
  • monthCalendar
  • Projects
  • Market Types
  • and some other tables…
    ==> because I wanted to focus per “period of time” on Dashboard, I created trimesterCalendar, monthCalendar, weekCalendar…and linked the Hour Table to each of those.
    The advantage I found with the new Chart engine, is to focus on one period of time. The limit, is that it applies to only one chart. So, by using this method + interactive mode, I can apply the same time filter to each view.

Because the purpose is to analyse time spent on various criterias, there always is a column in the table Hours that references to the other tables.
3X_d_e_dee38c9619424b8d3796c0271002ebccf130874f.png

In the end, with the graph view I get a nice star picture

As you can see above, everything connects to the table Heure/Hours (in blue).
But, nothing connect to each others (which is normal…)

1. Dashboard view with:
  • 1 bar chart specifically for agencies : legacy chart
  • 3 bar chart for Hours Table : new charts
  • galery views for each table that is related to the main table Hours

My point is:
If I select one of the items from the galery views (which purpose is, for memory, to filter datas on charts), the other galery views won’t be filtered by any domino’s effect.
…Which is what I would like to do.
For example, if I select one item from the “period of time” Table (in green in the picture), I would like to have the galery views based on the Agencies (brown in the picture) to shorten.
Said differently:
if I pick the January month, I would like to see only the agencies where time have been spent during January.
In the opposite way, if I pick the agency MONTPELLIER, and that people worked for this agency only in January and February, I don’t want to see March.
Said differently again: this is like building dependent drop-downs, but here I want to build dependent galery views

I don’t know if I’m very clear in my explanations, feel free to let me know if this is not clear enough

Hi @Aurelien ,

Thank you for a detailed explanation. Really appreciate.

A few queries, if I may ask (still not sure if we may have a solution, so our discussion may not be fruitful, but will try best) . So you may choose to not respond

1. If it is an interactive dashboard, are you open for exploring a normal dashboard filter

2. TrimesterCalendar, monthCalendar, weekCalendar - are these slices on the Hours table? And the Gallery views in the dashboard are based on these slices? Similarly Gallery view of Agencies based on Agency table?

3. Is the dashboard expected to work in multi-user mode?

4. You mentioned dependent dropdowns.I believe dependent dropdowns work in one direction Say time period to agency or agency to period. is the dashboard expected to work in any order of selection Time period followed by Agency or agency followed by time period?

HI @Suvrutt_Gurjar

if I may ask

Sure you can

1. If it is an interactive dashboard, are you open for exploring a normal dashboard filter

Absolutely.

1. TrimesterCalendar, monthCalendar, weekCalendar - are these slices on the Hours table? And the Gallery views in the dashboard are based on these slices? Similarly Gallery view of Agencies based on Agency table?

These are not slices.
These are tables, and I calculate the values from Hours, that match the keys. So, similar to the Agencies view/table system.
For example, if a row in Hours has been entered at date may 18th 2021, then I will calculate month_VC ==> 2021_05_May (i.e. concatenate year, monthNumber, monthName)
Then, I reference this columnms to the table monthCalendar, which is this way:
3X_a_8_a821e1599bd9adc2b0645118d876632fa679589f.png
I’m aware that is ugly and probably not the most elegant way to proceed, but I don’t know how to filter the data shown otherwise on the dashboard.
I have the same for the other time periods:
3X_4_9_4992f78b5911a578b3a42a6a0c38931d74be9eb8.png

1. Is the dashboard expected to work in multi-user mode?

This one, not, although that’s not a requirement. I think I understand what you are thinking about
I made that on the other dashboard view, did you think about something similar ?

The issue with it (I may have done something wrong) is that there is not immediate responsiveness on the charts. I need to force sync first after changing my criteria (or wait for the app to sync background, calculate, display…), and then the charts display the expected values.

1. You mentioned dependent dropdowns.I believe dependent dropdowns work in one direction Say time period to agency or agency to period. is the dashboard expected to work in any order of selection Time period followed by Agency or agency followed by time period?

Once again, you are right: this is supposed to work in any order of selection.
Actually I picked the wrong word. A more adequate word for my purpose would be “co-dependent”, not just “dependent”.

Edit : Many thanks @Suvrutt_Gurjar for the time you spend at helping me with it

Thank you @Aurelien for your detailed replies. I will go through in detail to understand and revert.

Yes, you are correct. I had a user filter table in mind. However unless there are complex expressions behind to create slices based on selected criteria, I believe the user table filters work well in the Quick Edit mode. Have you enabled quick edits in that selection filter? Yes, it is true that Quick Edited columns sync in the background but in most cases, I believe the results in the dashboards display fairly quickly.

I will explore any other possibility and revert.

I will proceed to further tests, I will let you know.

Great. Thank you. I am sure you are already aware of that but the below sample app demonstrates that approach. The user filter can be based on detail view rather than a form view as in the app, so quick edits can be enabled.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Allow-the-user-to-filter-a-view-based-on-a-form?appGuidString=91266...

Awesome, thanks !

At manipulating it, I realize I must have missed something in my settings or slice or anything.
There must be a way to have something pretty close to it.

If I succeed into it, I will let you know and share my result.

Sure. Please try it. For multi users implementation though, it will need one row per user in the table to preserve each user’s settings.

Top Labels in this Space