Real-Time Location Of OTHER Users on a map?

Is there a way to see the real-time location of several drivers on one map?

0 11 1,198
11 REPLIES 11

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Nope

So are the capabilities limited to a โ€œsnapshotโ€ (rather than โ€œrealtimeโ€) or that you canโ€™t see the location of others? (Real-time OR snapshot)?
I can see MY location on a map โ€œHere()โ€

If you were ok asking the drivers to โ€œcheck inโ€ their location, I suspect that could be shown for multiple drivers on a map. @Steve - Wondering if a โ€œcheck-inโ€ can automated using workflow and action? Never tried itโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m not aware of a way to automate a check-in in a reliable way.

Iโ€™d guess the most desirable automated check-in would be every so many units of time. Unfortunately, AppSheet has no scheduling mechanism on the device end, so thereโ€™s no way to make anything happen on the device reliably at a given time or interval.

The closest I can imagine is to create an action that performs a check-in and attach that action to as many navigation events within the app as possible. Then the user would trigger a check-in with routine use of the app. This is in no way trivial and likely to result in a variety of problems, and depends entirely on active use of the app (i.e., this isnโ€™t a passive tracking measure).

Yesโ€ฆ not really reliable, but in some cases, I would think a manual โ€œcheck-inโ€ might be better than nothing

AppSheet can only record (and thereby report) on a snapshot basis. There is no way to stream (in real time) the appโ€™s location.

Check this out from the documentation:

LatLong data can be captured in a form field when editing or adding rows via the LatLong and ChangeLocation column types.

The current location button on the LatLong input uses high-accuracy GPS location capture on your device, which is potentially time-consuming and battery-intensive.

Using a ChangeLocation column or an AppFormula or Initial Value of HERE() for a LatLong column enables passive location capture within the form, but the accuracy may be reduced compared to using the current location button.

I wonder what that means?
I was using the HERE() in the โ€œinitial value optionโ€ - but perhaps thatโ€™s the โ€œsnapshotโ€ or โ€œcheck-inโ€ version.

So Perhaps The โ€œUse Current Locationโ€ option when you open the app is only capable of showing MY location in real-time.

I guess I need to share the app and get a few other TEST users in the mix.

Thanks for your time guys.

When you use the HERE() with the Initial value, it only records the location when you created that record and it doesnโ€™t change anymore. Itโ€™s not a dynamic value.

we need this feature, any update when it can be delivered ?

TDhers

HI Ahmed,
This feature is on pause for now as we go through the many compliance, privacy and security audit reviews and hardening work with the Google team. I hope we will resume working on this, as we were getting close to completion prior to the acquisition, but I do not have an ETA to give you unfortunately.
Thierry

tvinci

@Greenflux introduced Geo-Fencing in another post. Not exactly the same but useful.

Top Labels in this Space