Rebase a table's incrementing multiple value on record add/edit

Here is my use case. I have a table with content for a letter. Each row represents a paragraph in the letter. The order of the paragraphs is controlled with an [Order] column that takes a number.

By default each rowโ€™s [Order] are an incrementing multiple of 10. New content can also be placed in between existing rows, e.g. an [Order] value of 21 will put that paragraph between the paragraphs with [Order] values of 20 and 30.

What I would like to happen is to have these values rebase whenever a new โ€œin betweenโ€ [Order] value is introduced (either by an add or edit).

For example: There are three existing rows with Order values of 10, 20, and 30. Two new records are added with values of 21 and 25. Upon sync, a workflow is triggered and everything is rebased to multiples of 10, like this:

• 10 -> 10
  • 20 -> 20
  • 21 -> 30
  • 25 -> 40
  • 30 -> 50

Has anyone done something like this? Any ideas for how I can approach this better? My main desire is to avoid a situation where these values become too crowded and adding or reshuffling paragraphs becomes very cumbersome.

Solved Solved
0 2 279
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Steve, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The โ€œadd across datesโ€ example was particularly insightful. Iโ€™ll definitely give this a crack in the weeks to come.

Top Labels in this Space