REF ROWS question. Hi - I have 2 linked table...

REF ROWS question. Hi - I have 2 linked tables. Table 1 is a list of Fishing Trips, table 2 is a list of related Fishing Activities where a trip can have many activity rows.

I have 2 forms - one to add a new trip (which works fine) and another to add a Fishing Activity to a Fishing Trip.

For the second form, I want to be able to select from the list of Trips to add an activity to that trip. I can do this but the Reference Field (Trip_ID in the screenshot) defaults to a List of Vessel Names (PLN_Vessel_Name in teh screenshot) but I want it to display a list from a Virtual Column (a concatenation of Date and Vessel) Date_PLN_Short_Name in the screenshot.

So how can I get the linking column list to display a different list? Or is Appsheet smart enough for me just to use one form and if so what is the best way to do this?

Screenshot attached which may help - thanks in advance for any pointers or help James

0 6 451
6 REPLIES 6

You need to change the label column in your โ€œFishing Tripโ€ table.

@Aleksi_Alkio Thanks Aleksi - I tried to change the label to the virtual column and it didnโ€™t work - I assume that a virtual column canโ€™t be a label?

Anyway, I worked around the problem by creating a new column in the Trip table that concatenated the date and the vessel and then gave this the label.

Many thanks for the quick response.

You can use virtual column as a label. Check that you donโ€™t have any other columns for that.

Hi Aleksi - quick supplementary question if thatโ€™s OK

Label now working on the right column (thanks again) - I just want the selectable

list of trips to be ones that have a Trip Status of โ€œIn Progressโ€ (Column in the Trip table)

I have tried using 2 slices (Trip and Trip Activity) which only show Trips that are In Progress - the slices seem to work fine and both my forms are pointing to these slices. However when I want to add Activity to a trip I still get a list of all the Trips, regardless of whether they are In Progress or Closed. Any pointers appreciated.

Regards

James

You can add a Valid_If expression like SELECT(FishingTrips[KeyColumn],[Status]=โ€œIn Progressโ€) for that Ref field.

Thanks Aleksi

Top Labels in this Space