Reference help please

I am in need of some help please.
I have an app to create jobs. When the job is created the job has a record id [jobrecordid].
I select or create a client. If creating a client Iโ€™m taken to a new page to complete the details then it is given a record id [clientrecordid]
I select or create a site. If creating a new one i am taken to another form and the row is given a record id [siterecordid]
I have another column in the site worksheet for client ref. I want this to capture the [clientrecordid]
Please please can someone tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I capture the client ref against a site so that I can filter the options available elsewhere in the app

0 4 338
4 REPLIES 4

@Ellie_F
What you are asking is called a de-ref expression. You can use it with this syntax:

[YourRefColumnNameInTheChildTable].[ColumnNameYouLookFor]

in your example; assuming that your ref column name is client in Site Worksheet:

[client].[clientrecordid]

thank you for the reply. The dereference works in some instances but not in this.
for example , in my job screen, if i select an existing site then it will deference the associated columns like post code etc and show them. however it seems when i have my list to select a site address or client contact , when i click NEW it is taking me to a new screen but not taking the information through thatโ€™s available within the job. Iโ€™m assuming i need to somehow do a link to row, to keep the thread of data ?
or am i just doing the dereference wrong?

@Ellie_F
I believe your de-referencing might be wrong. Itโ€™s hard to provide a solution without knowing your column structure and how you have set the app. Provided you can elaborate, Iโ€™ll try to help.

thank you so much , this is all new to me.

In my โ€˜Jobsโ€™ Table I have the following fields

[Client Name] [Site Address] [Client Contact]

[Client Name]- this is Ref to Table โ€˜Address Bookโ€™ โ€“ key in Address Book is [Recordid]

[Site Address] โ€“ this is a Ref to Table โ€˜Sitesโ€™ โ€“ Key in Sites is [recordid]

[Client Contact] โ€“ This is a ref Table โ€˜Client Contacts โ€“ Key In Client Contacts is [RecordID]

In a view using โ€˜Jobsโ€™ I Select [Client Name]

I then select [Site Address] (from a filtered list)

I then select [Client Contact] (from a filtered list)

In my โ€˜Sitesโ€™ Table I also have [Ref] field that references โ€˜Address Bookโ€™ to capture the Client [Recordid]

In my โ€˜Client Contactsโ€™ Table I also have [Ref] field that references โ€˜Address Bookโ€™ to capture the Client [Recordid]

is that enough detail?

Top Labels in this Space