Referencing 2 tables on a single start expression

Hello friends, the problem i have come upon is that i’m trying to load information from different tables into a single workflow doc template, i’d like to pull a list of unique ids from [TABLE A], and be able to use that list of ids using the context of [TABLE B] for the columns inside said start expression.

Is there a way to do this without having those tables directly referencing each other?

To give a better idea of my problem, imagine a basic shopping app, where a customer picks some products and amounts, a simple workflow doc template would display a list of the items and amounts the customer bought for that given order.

In my case i need to display all the items that the customer is able to buy, even those that he hasn’t purchased, that list of all products is in [TABLE A], and the individual item purchase records are in [TABLE B]. 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Solved Solved
1 6 483
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Looks like there’s two requests here:

For this, it sounds like what you need to do is extract from your orders the list of products selected - then you want to use that list inside a <<START: in a workflow so that the product details are displayed in the workflow instead of the order details.

For this, check out List dereferences:

I’m assuming you’ve got an Order parent level, and then order details where people select the individual products they want (and quantity, etc.)…

• On the Order Parent, you’ve got a [Related OrderDetails] - a virtual column that’s a list of all the related OrderDetail records
    • From this, use a List Dereference formula to pull out the Product values.

[Related OrderDetails][ProductID]

This will product a list of all the values in the [ProductID] column for all the related records.

With this on the Order level, you can then use this column’s values inside your <<START: expression

<<START: SELECT(Products[ProductID], 
  IN([ProductID], [_ThisRow].[Products_From_OrderDetails]))>>

The second question

For this one, take a look at List dereferences and list math (addition/subtration)

You can easily create a list of the products selected (list deref from the OrderDetails), then take the master list of products and subtract from that the items the person has already selected.

• this would give you a list of products that haven’t been selected by the user.

Alternatively, if you added the Master List to the list of products selected by the user;

• you would end up with a list of all the products (because you took what the user selected… and added everything to it).

On an entirely different note:

It’s entirely possible to store a list of references inside an EnumList - with the base type text if you want.

You can also easily store a list as a string (inside a LongText/Text column) by wrapping the list formula in CONCATENATE().

• Then you can reconvert this string into a list using SPLIT().

Just fyi.

Hi Matt ! thank you for your detailed answer, i’ll study everything you mentioned and i’ll report again after i give it a go. 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Hello again @MultiTech_Visions , after struggling a whole day i realized i was over complicating the problem. 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

In my case i need to display all the items that the customer is able to buy, even those that he hasn’t purchased, that list of all products is in [TABLE A], and the individual item purchase records are in [TABLE B]. 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

It’s just comes down to displaying the whole list of items of [TABLE A] and using the reference with [TABLE B] to sum each item’s “related sales” in order to obtain the accumulated total of sales per item.

To do that, i need to be able to filter the related sales based on a column named [OrderNumber] that is within the table that triggers the workflow, and is also recorded in each item sale, i’m trying something like:

<<SUM(
	SELECT(
			[Related Items sold][Qty],
			[OrderNumber]<[_THISROW-1].[OrderNumber]
		  )
     )
>>

Any suggestions? i’m not very familiar with the use of [_THISROW] in template variables, and haven’t managed to grasp the concept after reading the documentation about it.

oooh sheeeeeet, it works at last ! thank you @Steve and @MultiTech_Visions, i learned a lot from your replies, at one point yesterday i was complicating the matter so much i was about to 3X_a_d_ad3e9ac0a27a3a582b45269cfe7094a4f2789d5c.gif

Top Labels in this Space