Referencing a Column value in a Table, versus referencing ALL Column values in the entire Table

Having answered this question about 1 million times now, I guess I should make a tips-and-tricks post about it.

Expressions of the form

Table[Column]

return a List type data value that contains the values in Column for ALL records in the entire Table.

Most likely, If Iโ€™ve referred you to this post, the answer to your question is simply to change it to just:

[Column]

One of the most common places Iโ€™ve seen new app builders use this, is within SELECT() expression, like:

SELECT(
  Table[Column] ,
  Table[Column] = "X"
)

The second argument in SELECT(), the โ€œconditionโ€, is evaluated iteratively across every record in the Table, from the context of each individual record. Which is why you can just use [Column]. So you change to:

SELECT(
  Table[Column] ,
  [Column] = "X"
)

For reference:

Edit:
Good suggestion from @MultiTech_Visions:
An additional helpful tip, you can freely replace โ€œTableโ€ with the name of any Slice and expressions work the same way, but only reference records from the Slice instead of the entire Table.

Slice[Column]
18 3 4,102
3 REPLIES 3

Nice one!

Maybe include something about how slices and tables are essentially the same in this situation.

I have one question. That I canโ€™t display ref data on PDF workflow Is it related to SELECT()?

Template
3X_f_1_f13ea9d6fe340267e63ae99710e4b36fcd8d785a.png

PDF

Iโ€™m afraid to disturb others. If possible, can you please reply to this link?

https://community.appsheet.com/t/how-to-created-pdf-when-adding-new-record-in-reference-table-data/5...

Hopefully, you can help me out.

Marc,

Thank you for your help.

This description clarifies things a lot.

PS: Sorry for the delay in responding to your answer. I was stuck in a remote construction site for a few weeks.

Top Labels in this Space