Referencing two tables in a slice

Hi! I’m wondering if there is a way to reference two tables in a slice. In our application, we have a Service Ticket table storing work orders and a Customers table storing customer info and information regarding equipment/assets on their sites. We have a New Ticket view/slice that a dispatcher uses to fill out the appropriate parts of a Service Ticket row in order to dispatch to a technician. We are trying to integrate the equipment stored in the Customer table such that it can be picked if a New Ticket is specific to a piece of equipment. In our case, we’d have to reference two different table to make this work (at least from what i can see and know). Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Justin

0 7 1,065
7 REPLIES 7

Waw… kind of SLICE-UNION…

Very interesting for me to know the answer on this… Thanks for posting this.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Nope. Though I’m curious what you mean by “reference two tables”. Include rows from two tables? Join rows from two tables? Neither is possible.

Darn! Want to be able to create a new work order in the Service Ticket table but be able to pick a piece of equipment found in the Customers table to service on the ticket.

Perhaps I don’t really understand what you mean by “referencing two tables in a slice”.

What you describe above is certainly doable. Presumably, a Service Ticket row would have a column that identifies the customer. Knowing the customer, we can find the customer’s row in the Customers table. Having the Customers table row, presumably we can get the/a piece of equipment.

Can you elaborate a little more on where you’re having difficulty?

Hi Steve, I think I got it. The Service Ticket row does reference the Customers table. I ended up adding a new column “Equipment to service” to the Service Ticket table. I set it to EnumList and put this in the Suggested Values box:

LIST([Customer name].[Gate 1 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 2 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 3 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 4 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 5 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 6 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 7 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 8 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 9 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 10 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 11 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 12 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 13 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 14 site reference name], [Customer name].[Gate 15 site reference name])

Seems to work and then we get service records tied to equipment at an address rather than just the address. Do you see anything inefficient with this setup?

That looks fine, actually! It’s unfortunate you have to assemble such a large list, but it is what it is. Well done!

Thank you and thanks for the help!

Top Labels in this Space