Regarding localisation vs enums. A workaroun...

Regarding localisation vs enums.

A workaround that had been proposed in the past was to add all languages values in the enum list, and then filter on language using a valid_if clause. e.g Yes No Oui Non Then if [language] = “English” > show only english terms.

But this means that the values saved are also multilingual, which means that we must create more complex expressions to deal with each language permutation.

What would be needed is a way to store a generic value, then show variable enum values. For instance: Yes = 1, No = 0. What would be saved in the row would be only 1 or 0, but “Yes” or “No” (or whichever other value based on language) is what would be displayed on the enum buttons.

Note: we know that there is a yes/no column type. This is just a simple example. But the use case is also applicable to random terms.

Is there any work in progress on Appsheet to help better support multilingual values on enum columns?

1 10 700
10 REPLIES 10

Not at the moment, but it is an important and needed feature for a multi-lingual app. Could you please add the request to appsheet.com - Login - AppSheet

Thanks! Login - AppSheet appsheet.com

I am planning to build a multi lingual app. Is there any update on this development ?

The situation has not changed.

To offer my own suggestion, make the Enum with a base type of Ref to a table with a single column (the key column): the value you’d want stored when the corresponding Enum is chosen. Add a virtual column (the label column) that generates the localized name for the Enum value. This localized label will be what the user sees and chooses, but the key column value is what will be stored.

Could you either provide an example app with this, or update the COVID-19 template (which is localized) with an enum that demonstrates this?

Thanks

Will do. Thx

I think Steve’s answer is absolutely the right one. In fact, I’d suggest you don’t use an Enum here but just use a Ref.

So it is a Ref column to a table that has a virtual column marked as the Label. The virtual column uses USERLOCALE() to compute the appropriate language-specific text that shows in dropdowns and views.

Doesn’t that exactly address the requirement?

This is exactly what I’ve done.
Works great, and you can also use that table door ALL view names, display text, etc… Effectively localizing the entire app…

Grant, can you share an example or some screenshoot of how it could be done?

Thank you

Hi Praveen,

I can’t find usage of userlocale() on help and community archieves except for your this massage.
I adjusted localise, views and tables columns language in my apps. However, Enumlist can’t convert or describe with two or more languages. Can you recommend me something?

Pravse, can you share an example App?

Thank you

Top Labels in this Space